Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you backup your important data?

  1. #1
    Samuel's Avatar
    Samuel is offline Avtechie Leader
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hyderabad, India
    Posts
    411

    How do you backup your important data?

    Do you use an external HDD? or do you have another internal HDD to which you backup? Also, clarify this doubt. For example, I have 160 GB data that I want to backup. Will the backup softwares compress them? if yes, about how much % will the compression be?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ashwin's Avatar
    Ashwin is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    I have a portable Harddisk. 80gb HDD with external casing which we can plug into a USB port (originally an IDE HDD)

    Using it as a slave HDD in my other PC after removing the casing

    Nowadays I just backup to DVDs.
    Contributing Editor at http://www.androidpure.com/

  3. #3
    Avinash's Avatar
    Avinash is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    2,042
    just use a external HDD of 80 GB for backup.

  4. #4
    Samuel's Avatar
    Samuel is offline Avtechie Leader
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hyderabad, India
    Posts
    411
    Thanks Ashwin and Avinash. But what about the second question

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I have 160 GB data that I want to backup. Will the backup softwares compress them? if yes, about how much % will the compression be?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Avinash's Avatar
    Avinash is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Thanks Ashwin and Avinash. But what about the second question
    Backup softwares e.g. Norton Ghost can compress upto 50% when you use disk imaging for your backup which means your 160 GB data can be compressed to 80-90 GB.

    The compression % may vary with other backup softwares.

  6. #6
    Samuel's Avatar
    Samuel is offline Avtechie Leader
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hyderabad, India
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Backup softwares e.g. Norton Ghost can compress upto 50% when you use disk imaging for your backup which means your 160 GB data can be compressed to 80-90 GB.

    The compression % may vary with other backup softwares.
    So, which one do you think can compress more?

  7. #7
    Avinash's Avatar
    Avinash is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    2,042
    getting more than 50% is practically impossible. I hadn't tested any other backup software more extensively.

  8. #8
    Grr's Avatar
    Grr
    Grr is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,442
    Backup to External HDD, as I do not have a DVD Writer.

    Compression depends on type of data.

    @AVI - is 50% compression ever possible?

  9. #9
    Avinash's Avatar
    Avinash is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    Backup to External HDD, as I do not have a DVD Writer.

    Compression depends on type of data.

    @AVI - is 50% compression ever possible?
    Try making a HDD image using a backup program like Norton ghost and you will know its possible. I have done that often. Obviously, max data I may have made image was 14-15 GB with the Image size around 8 GB with Maximum compression setting.

  10. #10
    Grr's Avatar
    Grr
    Grr is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Try making a HDD image using a backup program like Norton ghost and you will know its possible. I have done that often. Obviously, max data I may have made image was 14-15 GB with the Image size around 8 GB with Maximum compression setting.
    Thanks Avi.
    How long does it take to do such image backup? and can we backup the HDD on which Norton Ghost is installed?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •