Thread: Am I experimenting too much with forum?

Avinash Guest

Am I experimenting too much with forum?

Well, I was trying so many stuff with the forum in the background, which sometime result in Forum producing some errors.

Just now I was trying something and it resulted in errors with the "Rank Module" making the forum unavailable. Somehow I did fix it and everything is OK now.

May be its the way I have learned everything in my life...experimenting with new things. Me being a mech engineer by profession would not be running a tech forum and blog, if i had not experimented with computers.

Still, I would like to know, am i experimenting too much?

And the Forum is good enough now? I mean just in terms of features available like quick reply, recent topics etc.

Re: Am I experimenting too much with forum?

Just one idea, can you make a copy of the forum layout or code and experiment with a dummy version? That's what I used to do so when I experimented with a site so I didn't effect the site itself. Experimenting is just something saying you still have intelligence and that your mind is still working, nothing wrong with it. The only thing I would like is maybe a 10 kb avatar, lol. 6 is very hard to work with. Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the forum.

Paul

EDIT: when I went to post, I got a 404 page not found. Oh well, it posted now

Avinash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PChammer
    The only thing I would like is maybe a 10 kb avatar, lol. 6 is very hard to work with. Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the forum.
    No one told me its just 6 kb, may be its by default. I will just increase it to 12 kb. Hope that would be fine.

Regarding dummy version to experiemnt with, yes I do that with dummy one but sometimes the things that worked on dummy one doesn't work on the actual one and thats when the problem arises.

No one told me its just 6 kb, may be its by default. I will just increase it to 12 kb. Hope that would be fine.
    Thank you! It is very hard to find even a small avatar that's 6 kb , so glad you changed that

Regarding dummy version to experiemnt with, yes I do that with dummy one but sometimes the things that worked on dummy one doesn't work on the actual one and thats when the problem arises.
    [/quote]

That's true and I did have that problem sometimes as well. The forum seems to be very good the way it is. Just one more suggestion then, perhaps wait until you run into something that you know will definitely need a change one day, basically, just wait until the idea presents itself ? Other than that, I have no advice as the forum seems great to me. I didn't look to see if users could change the forum look\color as many of these do now so nope, seems great to me Avinash.

Avinash Guest

Thank you Paul.

It seems I still have some issues with posting as it is producing 404 errors even though the post gets posted.

RE: Am I experimenting too much with forum?

Hi Avinash,

To be frank, i'm not really into the present color slection. same for the blog. time for revamp? maybe can consider. simple is good.

Avinash Guest

RE: Am I experimenting too much with forum?

Quote Originally Posted by darma
    Hi Avinash,

To be frank, i'm not really into the present color slection. same for the blog. time for revamp? maybe can consider. simple is good.
    You mean to say a design revamp? lol, thats the last thing on my mind. Its as simple as i can make the forum and blog. I love simple things too.

So may be some other time when forum and blog are too big and i can ask someone else to design it for me. But right now, its a NO. :P

Experimenting too much is not bad, dear administrator

The forum is good but I think it can be more better

For now only few of us are hanging out here, wish our old members would return.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    For now only few of us are hanging out here, wish our old members would return.
    I'm sure it'll happen in near future. We need more time and be patient