Thread: Problems with a new install of Windows XP home Edition

Problems with a new install of Windows XP home Edition

This is a question being asked on yahoo answers, perhaps some one here may answer it better.

Code:
    Alright, I installed windows home edition on my dv6120us laptop. The version I downloaded was one that came with an HP desktop as I had lost the disc for my laptop and don't have the money for a new one. So I installed Windows, and now I can't even install anything without getting an error. So I partitioned my hardrive with Ubuntu, and Windows XP so that I can fix my windows with Ubuntu (Everything works fine on Ubuntu.) Also, my wireless card isn't detected, my LAN card isn't detected, hell the only thing that appears to work is my processor, mouse, and keyboard. 

Does anyone know what I can download to get anything to work? All of the installers for the drivers on HP's site will not work, and Netframework 1.1 will not install either. The only thing that seems to install is Rise of Nations.

Re: Problems with a new install of Windows XP home Edition

Well, it seems you got problem due to two issues.

1. As per my search on HP, dv6120us Model doesnt comes preinstalled with Windows XP home. The original operating system that comes on this model is Windows XP Media Centre Edition.

Code:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-media-center/4507-3121_7-32111504.html?tag=mncol;rnav
    2. The other edition is right drivers. You need to install windows Media Centre edition and then find the releveant drivers from HP website or use drivers from your HP CD if you have.

I think this should solve your problem.

Avinash Guest

Re: Problems with a new install of Windows XP home Edition

@rahul, Yes your answer must solve the problem stated by the member.