Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you backup your important data?

Thanks Jelson....

NOTE: just added a link to a very good review comparing 5 imaging apps, 4 of which have free versions. It's post #18

I use Storage Craft on my main PC's and I like it. As Jelson says, it is very fast. On minor PC's I regularly use Macrium Reflect free, which takes more time and cannot be scheduled to run automatically. I never failed me, though. Some years ago I had Acronis True Image 9, which messed up my MBR and everything else as well when I tried to restore an image ina dual-boot configuration, so I had to do a new installation.

Thanks Corno! I read something recently that suggest Macrium Reflect now allows you to restore to a smaller partition (provided the restore will actually fit). That was my main objection to it when I first searched for imaging software. I was restoring from a 60 GB to a 40 GB and adding an additional drive.

I really did like Storage Craft (Shadow Protect) but it does tie the activation to your hardware. You first have to deactivate the program if you want to do a clean OS install so that you'll be able to activate it again.

NitroPDF does that crap as of version 6: astsrv.exe - "Nalpeiron Highend Service" is running all the time with a strange file on C: from hidden from Windows API. I'm uninstalling it.

But Shadow Protect? It is wasn't so expensive (last time I checked it was about $85) I'd install it. It's that good.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Acronis, but then I don't have a dual boot system either.

UPDATE: additional info on Nalpeiron

Kaspersky is known to detect "C: WINDOWS:AstInfo" which it classifies as a rootkit. But this is known to be a result of "Nalpeiron Trusted Activation" running astsrv.exe. I understand why many developers resort to this sort of thing, but I consider it distasteful and won't use their software without an overwhelming reason.

UPDATE 2:

Correction, I just remembered it's EASEUS Todo Backup that now supports restoring to smaller partition. (Ashraf recently reviewed it and I also recall they've changed the name a bit). Corno: does Macrium Reflect Free do this as well now?
    Last edited by jelson; 06-01-11 at 06:10 PM.

I know I am a bit bumpy, but just want to give my two cents. For my main PC's I use Shadow Protect, for the lesser ones Macrium Reflect Free, though the latter is quite slow and has to be fired up manually.

Hi

Windows 7:

Acronis Western Digital Edition / Paragon Drive Backup 10 (incremental)
    PureSync
    manual backup via dvd/pendrive

XP SP3:
    Acronis True Image 11 Home
    PureSync
    manual backup via dvd/pendrive

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

SeagateDiscWizard / MaxBlast - How to use with NON-Seagate drives:

Solution
    At the Error screen, hold down the Alt key while you type t then o (for tech override), and then click OK.

Credit
    Mike D., Seagate Tech Support

Symptom
    When booting the DiscWizard / MaxBlast boot cd to image a non-Seagate/Maxtor hard drive to the FreeAgent Go, the following screen is displayed:

Error
    To use the products at least one Seagate or Maxtor device should be installed in your system.
    and there is only an OK button; clicking that powers off the machine

Thanks damien, that's a very cool trick!!!

Got that one from Seagate support

Edit- Disregard
    Last edited by iPrism; 22-02-11 at 04:08 AM.

Acronis WD edition.. free but only for full backups
    Paragon B&R 10 Home SE.. free, full and beutifull..
    I tested both of them for restoring the image.. they work just fine.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast