Thread: Important steps to be done for a new Laptop

Question Important steps to be done for a new Laptop

Guys finally, I'm buying a new laptop.
    Please help me suggesting (or links) on info as to what should I do as soon as I unwrap & power-on my new Laptop.

It's kinda urgent...so appreciate a quicker response.

Thanks,
    Grr

Charge your laptop's battery until its full, do this before you start using the laptop

Do not use the laptop on a/c power (plugged to the outlet). It could affect your laptop.

Don't clutter the laptop with softwares you may use rarely. If possible use portable apps

Update your drivers and install Windows updates for smooth performance.

Some computers come with crap installed on them. (trial softwares, etc) Uninstall them

Some hardware/usage tips:

1. Avoid keeping liquids near the laptop. Spills could be disastrous and may even void your warranty

2. Close your laptop gently. I have had experiences with customer's who accidentally closed the laptop with a bit of force and crack their screen.

3. Do not wipe the laptop and the screen with liquids or a wet cloth. Use a soft dry cloth to clean the laptop.

4. Try to avoid installing/replacing new hardware until your warranty period is over. Some companies have strict policies, your warranty could be void even if you install a different OS.

5. Keep the cardboard box that the laptop came in. In case of service repair, when they require you to ship the laptop to them, it may be handy

6. Note down the serial number of the laptop and the OS and store it safely

Additional help resources:

Last edited by Ashwin; 24-12-10 at 01:24 PM.

Do not use the laptop on a/c power (plugged to the outlet). It could affect your laptop.
    I plug mine into outlet every time I use it so whats wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm52858 View Post
    I plug mine into outlet every time I use it so whats wrong with that.
    If the laptop is plugged in for a long time, the excessive power stored may affect the speaker, keyboard, mouse , harddisk etc.

Symptoms are:

1. Sound is choppy or broken

2. Boot time is longer, hard disk responsiveness is slow

3. Problems with the touchpad or keyboard, etc

Charge the battery, unplug the power cord, use the laptop. You can plug it back when the power is low (say 40% or something)

Don't leave the laptop to charge overnight or something

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    If the laptop is plugged in for a long time, the excessive power stored may affect the speaker, keyboard, mouse , harddisk etc.

Symptoms are:

1. Sound is choppy or broken

2. Boot time is longer, hard disk responsiveness is slow

3. Problems with the touchpad or keyboard, etc

Charge the battery, unplug the power cord, use the laptop. You can plug it back when the power is low (say 40% or something)

Don't leave the laptop to charge overnight or something
    Thanks for all your information Ashwin never realized it could do harm.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm52858 View Post
    Thanks for all your information Ashwin never realized it could do harm.
    Oh yes it can. these tips have saved many a customer's laptops.

Good question. There are many things which you can do.

1. Change the power plan. Usually keep balanced or power saver. That will save your charge and your eye
    2. Dont just always charge your laptop while working. Draining your battery is one very important thing. Make sure you drain your battery periodically that will keep your battery healthy and increase its life.
    3. Try to find out where is the heat outlet of your laptop. Sometimes its placed very stupidly(like in the bottom). Make sure heat can go out easily. Dont keep your laptop in your bed and work keep it a table or something hard and stiff. Bed sheets will definitely hamper in the heat flow. Your laptop operates more efficiently when its cooler.
    4. Bluetooth, WiFi services will drain your battery more quickly. If you dont use them close these services.
    5. Partition your hard drive judiciously. Dont want to change it regularly.

There are many more things. Currently this are the things which came to my mine.
    Thank you