Thread: Any online scanner to scan files >20Mb?

Question Any online scanner to scan files >20Mb?

I know virustotal which could be used to scan files up to 20mb.

But is there anything similar to scan files which are greater than 20mb?

Thanks,
    Grr

You can try doing a "Search" via hash values. Some anti-malware programs upload "suspicious" or "unknown" files to Virustotal. I often just search for md5 or sha-1 hashes instead of actually uploading a file. 90%+ of the time, the file has already been uploaded.

Easiest way to check hashes is to use ==> there will be tab for hashes when you right click a file and select "Properties" It will calculate CRC, MD5 & Sha-1 hashes, let you copy all or one of them and do a hash comparison with another file.

A stand-alone hash app I've read very good things about is I've yet to try it out, but it's planned as a replacement for hkSFV which I've had problems with before.
    Last edited by jelson; 12-01-11 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post
    You can try doing a "Search" via hash values. Some anti-malware programs upload "suspicious" or "unknown" files to Virustotal. I often just search for md5 or sha-1 hashes instead of actually uploading a file. 90%+ of the time, the file has already been uploaded.

Easiest way to check hashes is to use ==> there will be tab for hashes when you right click a file and select "Properties" It will calculate CRC, MD5 & Sha-1 hashes, let you copy all or one of them and do a hash comparison with another file.

A stand-alone hash app I've read very good things about is I've yet to try it out, but it's planned as a replacement for hkSFV which I've had problems with before.

Thanks Jelson, wasn't aware of all this.

But the hash wouldn't hold good if someone is making a portable application, as it is not a standard but moded. So still in need of an online service.

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    But the hash wouldn't hold good if someone is making a portable application, as it is not a standard but moded. So still in need of an online service.
    What about SafeReturner? Doesn't it have a right click open to submit a file to VirusTotal?

What about SafeReturner? Doesn't it have a right click open to submit a file to VirusTotal?
    I'm not using SafeReturner.

There is a VirusTotal desktop up-loader also, but with same size constraints of 20mb.

Well, if you didn't grab one of the free licenses for SafeReturner.... I'm sure you didn't grab BugBopper..... so, what about this:

Virus.org Rogue File Scanning Service

The second spot goes to Virus.org Rogue File Scanning Service. UI is similar to VirusTotal. Perhaps the only significant difference it has with VirusTotal is the service load. When I went there, the load was quite high. It would have been at the top spot (since it supports files that are more than 10 MB) if its service load was less than 50% on average.

• I tested the site in: IE6, IE7, Firefox 2, Opera 9.21, Safari 3 for Windows
    • undetermind file size limit, though it accommodated a 39.8 MB file.
    • Scans from 18 antivirus programs including McAfee and Trend Micro
    • Service load ~70%

Well, if you didn't grab one of the free licenses for SafeReturner.... I'm sure you didn't grab BugBopper..... so, what about this:

Jelson, thanks again.

I got SafeReturner license, but don't have it installed currently.

BugBopper - now what's that?

The Virus.org service looks good, but unfortunately it is down with no updates whatsoever on their blog (). It seems they are out of business.

Both Virustotal & Jotti have 20mb file-size limitation. While Kaspersky has 1mb limitation (what the heck...1mb )

Left is Dr. Web which I just tried. looks good. It scanned file of size more than 20mb, see below:

I am just wondering, what file is having a size >20 MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    I am just wondering, what file is having a size >20 MB.

setup files, portable applications

BugBopper - now what's that?

There was a promo for it back in July. Here's some verbiage from the page above:

BugBopper's approach is to suspect files it has not seen, and send them to our lab for instant analysis.
    We scan with multiple scanners and use sandbox results to decide if a file is malware. And we publish the results with pages on individual malware files like and malware names like
    For example, I just ran a scan today of recent files I've downloaded. It uploaded 48 files for analysis and flagged one: iphider_4.9.exe. It was flagged by BugBopper and Norman[6.5].

The log file has a link to report both on the malware category and the file itself. I suspect it's a false positive: I downloaded it from the developer after I won a license in an ABC giveaway.

The url to the report is . You'll note the url is based on the file's MD5 hash.

Several hours later, I reran the scan on the same directory of recent downloads and it only considered 1 file as unknown => all the files uploaded earlier are no longer unknown and none were flagged.

They also have a submission as well:

Submit a File for Analysis

Have a suspicious file you want us to examine? Upload it using this page, and we'll check it while you wait.

Click Browse, to find the file on your machine. Then click Send File, to submit it for analysis.
    There's also a that allows you to search for reports by it's MD5, SHA1, or SHA256 hashes.

Left is Dr. Web which I just tried. looks good. It scanned file of size more than 20mb,
    Cool, good to know that.