Thread: Firefox 4 final release targeted for next month

Firefox 4 final release targeted for next month

David Sicore, Mozilla's Director of Platform Engineering, told developers via a mailing list (which you can read here) that the final version of Firefox 4 should be ready to ship by the end of February, but not before another beta and a release candidate come out first.

Sicore mentioned that at the moment they have around "160 hard blockers remaining" and in the past it has usually "taken [them] six weeks to reach RC once [they] have 100 blockers left." That puts the typical first RC at the end of February. But Sicore was insistent, claiming they "must press hard now." In fact, his plan is to finish the RC by the beginning of February and to ship the final release by the end of the month.

All of this, riding on the coattails of another beta release. Firefox 4 Beta 9 was issued today but isn't currently reachable through the frontend channels. Thanks to torrentthief in the forums, you can find the new beta by going through Mozilla's FTP pathway. The new beta reportedly fixes a variety of 787 different bugs, but there are still more to remedy.

to continue reading.

Thank you

I woudl prefer waiting for another 2 moths to get a stable FF version....Nice to wait rather then get a buggy version..

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    I woudl prefer waiting for another 2 moths to get a stable FF version....Nice to wait rather then get a buggy version..
    Yup me too. I dont want to be a beta tester(that too for free ).

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yup me too. I dont want to be a beta tester(that too for free ).
    Even if you are not a beta tester, you get a much better browser and much more for FREE

No doubt its better browser but still there are some good browsers around, so no desperation to try beta or RC. I will prefer to wait for the final version.

Ive been using FF 4 Beta since about 4b5 or so.. for the most part its been stable.. and the only "slow" one i had was i think beta 5... since beta6 its been faster and faster.. still nto as fast as Chrome IMO... but still more secure and less issues that Chrome for me.. the only "issues" that some might run into is some of the addons not being compatible yet.. but you can still run them to test compatibility and then if they work, click that it is compatible.. and you are still gtg.. all the addons i use still work.. the only one that i used to use (but dont anymore for a long time) was DownThemALll.. and the Steganos ones.. but all the rest work just fine..

Well worth using IMO even before thet "Final" one.. but thats for me

@Zug, u r right. If no one tests beta versions like us, the final one will be buggy.

I keep using beta and stable versions side by side. now on FF4 beta 9