Thread: What to do when your computer restarts automatically

What to do when your computer restarts automatically

Computer restarts automatically??? Here is your solution.

Yet another call for help with a troublesome computer, this time it is from a friend whose computer restarts automatically.First let me explain how the issue began.

My friend had installed a couple of softwares on his Windows XP Pro desktop, and he restarted the computer after the installation was completed. But the computer would automatically restart after logging into Win XP.He tried it 4 or 5 times and asked a colleague who advised him to re-install XP.
    He was told by his friend that his OS would have gotten corrupted and that he had to do a clean install of XP. My friend was dead-scared at the thought of losing all his files,downloads,docs and called me for help.

I advised him to restart the computer and tap the F8 key several times till he came to the Boot-menu, and asked him to try LKGC (Last known good configuration).LKGC uses the most recent login of windows, and since the computer restarted AFTER logging into windows,it did not solve the problem. When i asked him if he had tried logging into safe mode, he said no. Then on my request he tried it, and the computer was stable at safe mode and shut down was normal too. I asked him to run safe mode again and asked him to select system restore. He chose the previous day as the Restore point date and initiated the recovery, after the restore process, the computer restarted in normal boot up mode and the issue was resolved.

The problem was one of his softwares (they are commercial softwares, i will not name them) corrupted the registry during installation and caused his system to crash. The simplest way to remove a software that you are unable to remove though any uninstaller is a System recovery.

Tips on using System Restore:
    But please make sure you select a date that is closest to the present day, you will lose many updates and files by choosing an older date. And a system restore point is valid only for 90 days after which it will be replaced by a fresh restore point. Most programs create a restore point automatically during installation. But i would advise that you manually create a restore point atleast once in 10 or 15 days to be safe. It takes only a few seconds.

PS:Sometimes the restore process would take a long time to complete. This depends on the restore point that you have chosen. Older restore points would take longer to complete while the latest restore points are the fastest .

Avinash Guest

RE: What to do when your computer restarts automatically

yes you are right. Most of the time, system restore can help you recover from issues like reboot or other minor problems, but most of the time, it didn't worked for me. But yes, it worked few times too.

Microsoft should have improved this feature a bit more, but right now this feature is not a guarantee that every time you do a restore, it will make your system back to stable condition. But yes, you should try this before you try something else. :P

Trust me on this. System restore is a life saver.
    I have handled calls on numerous issues and found system restore one of the most powerful tools in windows. Vista and Windows 7 are quite infamous for their disastrous Windows updates which cause errors in Wireless networking (wi-fi,3g), Windows defender,IE errors,etc. At times like these, nothing works better than a restore.

Altough in pretty rare cases i have performed a full recovery.(OS reinstall by wiping out the C: Drive).

I agree and disagree. I would call it "handy". There are numerous other softwares that will create restore type points or images that can be restored a lot better than Window's system restore. While yes, it can be used to go back to a working point, the biggest thing is backing up information and creating other means of restoring your operating system because system restore from Windows can fail and has many times. I would say the first thing anyone should do in this situation, when in safe mode, is back up all your important files if possible, then do a restore because when you have a corrupted system, reliability is in last place here and once again, I know you like SR, however, it has failed many people, many times, over many years and the current is no different.

Also, system restore can host a lot of infections if your computer has been compromised "many times it hits the system restore first" and people will use it after cleaning their system to find system restore putting back all this garbage on their pc.
    If you have performed a full recovery in only rare cases, then you must be new to the business and I mean no offense, but there are numerous times when a fresh install should be performed or must be.

That said, if we are talking only minor updates gone bad, etc... then yes, a simple restore can work, however, I don't recommend it for major issues as more will arise further on.

Avinash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PChammer

If you have performed a full recovery in only rare cases, then you must be new to the business and I mean no offense..

It would be better if we can avoid sentences like these. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash
    Quote Originally Posted by PChammer

If you have performed a full recovery in only rare cases, then you must be new to the business and I mean no offense..

It would be better if we can avoid sentences like these. :P
    I see. And just to explain...
    I didn't mean any harmful intent but just stating that if someone hasn't had to do a lot of reinstalls, they are typically new to this work and is a common statement about rare installs to those not in it very long or new to it.

The "I mean no offense" is part of the end sentence, not the quoted above in an attempt not to offend by saying a reinstall is required at certain times over restore. In other words, "I'm not trying to be a know it all but sometimes we must reinstall over restore."

Well, either way, I apologize if it somehow came off wrong.

Avinash Guest

no Need to apologize Paul.

I just said that as discussions many times started with things like these, even though with no offense intended by anyone, lead to confrontation in forums and I hate when forum discussions turn sour.

Sorry from my side too, if my message was not clear. Hope you dont mind.

And regarding the thread discussion, as i have said too System Restore didnt worked for me often and its true for everyone who face big problems with PC. SR works when the problems are small and can be hence easilyyy fixed by SR (if it worked) :P

I have already mentioned many times that i was a tech support exec,
    One of the first lessons in training was how to handle customers in a professional manner. No matter how rude they are, we should never lose our temper.

Believe me, i have been through situations in which customers threatened to sue my company and me (as if i am the company's owner), customers who use profanity on the call, demand me to put them through to the CEO or President of the company (like thats possible). But i have also received appreciation calls and certificates for employee of the month from my company. Ups and downs in life are common.

Chill Avinash
    Just because someone calls me a newbie, that doesnt mean it will get on my nerves. I am not offended and there is no need to apologize :-)

Oh BTW, i have been busy for a while and will be busy for a few weeks. My friend is launching a website and i have been put in charge of accounts, getting a high speed service provider, purchasing additional computers,registration, getting a reliable hosting service,etc. (virtually everything that involves hard work, ha ha). I have ordered two spyware doctor (3 user packs) and Kaspersky Internet Security Suites for the new systems on my friend's request. I will take two licenses of SD for my home PCs since i am paying for half of the security sofware's total cost and i dont see a use for an MBAM license which you are giving away now. Great giveaway, though.

PS: Avinashtech has a new fan. My cousin, Kaushik seems to like your website. He is not a techie but he has been using my Opera's speed dial link to your site for the past few days. LOL :-)