Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: in windows xp - security center reports no antivirus installed

Di you try to inform about your problem with the people in ESET?

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Even I'm facing this issue with Avast IS, as Security Center says I don't have a Firewall when I have Avast Firewall.... Same problem as yours and I also waiting for a solution...
    Sam, No problem like this, with the AIS 6 on XP here.
    Mine reporting the AIS firewall is on since I have turned off the Windows F/W.

If you want to use a 90 or 60 day trial version of Norton 360, you can download it from the links given below

Norton 360 90 days OEM

Code:
    http://buy-download.norton.com/akdlm/dm/estore/downloads/OEM/N360/5.0/N360_5.0.0.125_MS_LOEM_MRF1441_5671.exe?LNG=EN&None&fileExt=.exe
    60 days OEM

Code:
    http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/OEM/N360/5.0/N360_5.0.0.125_SYMTB_TMD_LOEM_MRFTT_226_5621.exe
    Btw, if you are sure that Eset works fine, just disable security center. I have disabled many services on my PC including the Security Center
    Last edited by Ashwin; 26-02-11 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iPrism View Post
    Di you try to inform about your problem with the people in ESET?

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Sam, No problem like this, with the AIS 6 on XP here.
    Mine reporting the AIS firewall is on since I have turned off the Windows F/W.
    I'm on Win 7 SP1. Both of us are right...

Try to use Iobit Toolbox.
    Download it from their website " http://www.iobit.com/toolbox.html".It is a portable tool,doen't requires any installtion ,just extract the zip file.
    Then open "toobox.exe" file and then go to "repair tab" and the select "winfix"

then go to "advanced fix" and there go to security ,there you find the fix to your problem.
    I do not 100% guarantee that it can fix the problem but you can try it once.
    Attachment 155Attachment 156Attachment 157

As Everyone said above Windows many times fails to detect the installed Antivirus.
    If you are Sure Eset is Running then no Issues just disable Security checks
    Even me faced this type of issues many times but not with Eset

Sorry, I should have clarified that ESET was my antivirus as of yesterday. Today it is Avira and the same results.

Security center use to report my antivirus properley but something happened and no matter what I install, security center will not register having seen it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by tharunam View Post
    Sorry, I should have clarified that ESET was my antivirus as of yesterday. Today it is Avira and the same results.

Security center use to report my antivirus properley but something happened and no matter what I install, security center will not register having seen it.

Thanks for all your replies.
    Boot into safe mode and try a system restore.

While selecting a restore point, make sure you choose a date when the Security Center was working fine

Also try to run a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware, just to check if your system is infected

Thumbs up I have solved my problem with security center in XP pro..advise given step by step

I have had this pesky problem with Security center not reporting on my firewall and antivirus no matter what I had tried.

After a lot of reseach, I came up with the solution..I want to help others so they don't go crazy like I did.

Please read below for step by step:

"Rebuilding the WMI Repository

If you experience behavior when using WMI, such as application errors or scripts that used to work are no longer working, you may have a corrupted WMI repository. To fix a corrupted WMI repository, use these steps:
    Windows XP and Windows Vista

Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE

Note: In Windows Vista, you need to open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type this command and press Enter:

net stop winmgmt

Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt

EXIT"

Then when you go to the control panel and then security center you will get the below:

"'The security center is currently unavailable...' error
    The Problem:-
    When you try to open Security Center,present under the Control Panel,you receive the following error:-

The security center is currently unavailable because the security center service has not started or was stopped. Please close this window and restart the computer (or start the security center service) and then open the security center again.

Why does it happen?

It happens,if:-
    1]the Security Service is disabled.
    2]if the specific service has stopped.

Resolution:-

To restore Security Center's functioning do the following.

Start>Run>type in:services.msc>OK

Now scroll down to Security Center.Right click on it to select Properties.Change the Startup type to Automatic from the drop down box.Also click the Start button to start the service.Click OK/Apply."

This has worked for me and just wanted to share so the next person having the problem will not pull his hair trying to figure it out.

One more thing, right click on computer, then properties, then advanced and then eniornmental, then system variable. Make sure that you add the following entry under system variable: "PATH c:\windows\system32\wbem"... This is now complete solution.
    Last edited by tharunam; 27-02-11 at 04:16 AM.

I have solved my problem and have it mentioned in the post above this one..

Thank you all for replying..

Nice research!!! Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast