Thread: Tracking down Roguewares - MaxSpywareDetector

Tracking down Roguewares - MaxSpywareDetector

Now a days there are so many roguewares and fake applications that it is really difficult for the newbies. Not only newbies even the experience users sometimes get fooled by these authentic looking roguewares.

Recently i won a giveaway of MaxSpyware Detector from a quite well known blog. I guess by now everybody know which blog i am talking about. But surprisingly(blessing in disguise) i dint receive the license. Today only i saw another post on that blog that MaxSpyware Detector winner should contact the company for their license, as the company need some more information about the winners.

When i visited the site's contact page i was stunned to see the horrible WOT rating of that site. Not only the WOT ratings this site is even listed on HpHosts under the classification FSA(site engaged in selling or distribution of bogus or fraudulent applications).
    Here is the and link to .

Since dint find anything with the site i was not satisfied. So i did some more research on this and ultimately got some more facts and reviews which cleared all my doubts and help me to safely term this application as ROGUEWARE.

Check this comment on WOT forum ---> .
    Also check this --->

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Next time be careful - Everything free is not always good

Thank you

yes, i know which blog it is

@Alpha: Maxspyware is NO LONGER a rogueware. But it was that previously with huge false positives. You know regaining reputation is not easy mainly when it is among security related softwares.
    Let me give some more info's. The software developer has two products
    The antispyware engine is in house and the antivirus used Vipre engine + in-house antispyware engine.

. Also these did not detect any legitimate files in my test machine falsely.

Btw, I participated in that contest too but did not win...

Thanks for the info sujay. Yes as you said its very hard to regain reputation once your name is associated to fraudulent applications. Anyway i am still not sure on using it. But if you want i can give you my license.

Oh forgot to mention they had sent me the license without me sending them any added info..... BTW why did they need anymore added info when they can sent the license as it is...

Thank you
    Last edited by Alpha; 22-03-11 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Thanks for the info sujay. Yes as you said its very hard to regain reputation once your name is associated to fraudulent applications. Anyway i am still not sure on using it. But if you want i can give you my license.

Thank you
    A giveaway

Thanks Alpha. But I am so much saturated with many security software licenses that I am not in a huge need of any more.. But its always good to keep alternatives. So, take your time and if you still think it is useless for you why don't you arrange a giveaway as grr said! May be some other needs it more than me...

or should I lock this thread since you say it is safe to use

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    or should I lock this thread since you say it is safe to use
    Sorry mate...

Similar problem was with Advanced System Protector by systweak. That software also is very good and also has a free version for on-demand scanning and removal. You can see how good that software performed in that test.