Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review + Giveaway of Diskeeper 2011 Professional with HyperFast

Thumbs up Review + Giveaway of Diskeeper 2011 Professional with HyperFast

Giveaway is over..

First of all a big Thanks to Colleen Toumayan, PR and Media Relations Executive Diskeeper Corporation for donating 5 licenses of Diskeeper 2011 Professional with HyperFast for Avinashtech forum members.
    Also thanks to our forum member Mike for arranging this giveaway for us.

With time and use any new PC/system could slow down due to fragmentation. Disk fragmentation is a natural processes and it happens every time we use our system. The more the fragmentation is the more the system is prone to crashes/BSODs, freeze-ups, slow response time and even boot failure in the worst case.

DiskeeperĀ® 2011 Professional edition could help - Get Optimal PC Performance & Up to 80% Faster File Access Speeds and thereby provide following Improvements:

* Overall faster PC speeds
    * Fastest file access speeds
    * Fastest boot up times
    * Fastest backup times
    * Fastest application speeds
    * Fastest anti-virus scans
    * Fastest internet browsing speeds
    * Fastest read & write times
    * Increased system stability
    * Increased PC performance
    * Reduced PC slows, lags & crashes
    * Reduced I/O activity
    * Reduced file corruption and data loss
    * Increased hardware lifespan
    * Lower energy costs

The Diskeeper Console at a glance is here from the help manual
    :

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/grr0/00.jpg

The Quick Launch Panel gives us 4 options:

1. Getting Started - usually the startup guide, help manual and FAQ

2. Volume Properties-it gives you an easy access to the properties for IntelliWrite, Automatic Defragmentation, I-FAAST and Boot-Time Defragmentation operations discussed later.

3. Analyze and Defragment now-it allows you to manually analyze and defragment your volumes. This could also be achieved from the Toolbar options. Now you can also run more than one manual defragmentation job (for different volumes of-course) at the same time. However ensure that the volume being defragmented should have a minimum of 10% free space.

4. Configure Diskeeper- this is the least used/touched portion which gives option for the following:

General -- See version, copyright and customer support information about your copy of Diskeeper.

Updates and Upgrades -- Check for newer versions of Diskeeper.

Diskeeper News and Information -- Stay informed with current product information and special offers, typically sent to you about once a week.

File Exclusions -- Specify files and folders that you do not want Diskeeper to process.

Event Logging -- Specify the information Diskeeper writes to the Event Log.

Power Management -- Specify how Diskeeper operates when your computer is running on battery power.

Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Options -- Specify how Diskeeper defragments VSS-enabled volumes.

Data Collection -- Specify the type of data Diskeeper collects for its performance and historical reports.

Permissions -- Specify whether users with non-Administrator accounts can access and run Diskeeper.

Proxy Settings -- Specify any proxy settings necessary for Internet connectivity.

New Volume Detection -- Specify how Automatic Defragmentation is enabled when new volumes are detected on your computer.

Defragmentation Options -- Specify Automatic and Manual defragmentation settings.

Manual Defragmentation

As expected till now I executed a Manual Defragmentation on my drive. It took less than 10 seconds to analyze the volume (size ~31Gb) for me. The analyzed volume report opened in a new window and provided the following info:

Volume Map - shows File Performance & File Structure. It also allows saving and/or printing the reports. Pics from my system and details from the manual below to understand the report:

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...eStructure.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...erformance.jpg

When the File Performance view is displayed, the colors available are:

Dark blue areas show high-performing files and folders.
    Red areas show low-performing files and folders.
    Pink areas show low-performing system files.
    White areas show free space on the volume.
    Green/White striped areas show space on the volume reserved for expansion of the MFT. This space is reserved when a volume is formatted, and cannot be used by applications, including Diskeeper. However, the operating system will write files to this area when the volume becomes extremely full and no other free space is available. Windows provides the capability for Diskeeper to move files out of this reserved area, but does not allow Diskeeper to move files into it. These areas appear only on NTFS volumes.

When the File Structure view is displayed, the colors available are:

Dark blue areas show contiguous (non-fragmented) files.
    Red areas show fragmented files and directory folders.
    Yellow areas show the paging file if it exists on the volume.
    Green areas show unmovable system files. Green areas primarily show the Master File Table (MFT), as well as several other unmovable files. These files cannot be moved safely by Diskeeper (or any other defragmenter), except at boot-time. Keep in mind, however, although these areas are referred to as "system files", these are not the files that make up the operating system (which Diskeeper can successfully defragment in the Manual or Automatic Defragmentation modes). Instead, they make up the NTFS file system. The green areas of the display appear only on NTFS volumes.
    White areas show free space on the volume.
    Green/White striped areas show unmovable system files. Green areas primarily show the Master File Table (MFT), as well as several other unmovable files. These files cannot be moved safely by Diskeeper (or any other defragmenter), except at boot-time. Keep in mind, however, although these area are referred to as "system files", these are not the files that make up the operating system (which Diskeeper can successfully defragment in the Manual or Automatic Defragmentation modes). Instead, they make up the NTFS file system. The green areas of the display appear only on NTFS volumes.
    Light blue areas show the defragmented directory folders on the volume (and their fragments).

Job Report - see the pics resulting from Manual Defragmentation executed above:

The Job Report tab includes the following sections:

Findings and Recommendations -- This section of the Job Report contains recommendations for improving or maintaining the performance of the volume.

Health -- This section of the Job Report includes an evaluation of the overall health of the volume, the reasons for that rating, and recommendations for improving or maintaining the reliability of the volume. More information

Access Time -- This section of the Job Report displays a graph illustrating the performance characteristics of the volume, based on current read times calculated by Diskeeper--both for all the files on the drive and for only the fragmented files on the volume. It also shows the expected optimum read time for all the files and for only the fragmented files. This gives you a detailed picture of your performance losses due to fragmentation, and the expected improvement you will see after defragmentation. More information

Statistics -- This section of the Job Report tab shows useful information about your volume after either analysis or defragmentation. More information Note that most of the information shown here can also be recorded in the Diskeeper Event Log.

Most Fragmented Files --This section of the Job Report displays a list of the most fragmented files on the volume.

You can also save the Job Report (as a text file) or print it by using the respective buttons on the Job Report tab.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/grr0/01.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/grr0/02.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/grr0/03.jpg

Last edited by Grr; 16-04-11 at 05:16 PM.

IntelliWrite Fragmentation Prevention
    IntelliWrite is the ground breaking technology that prevents the majority of fragmentation from ever occurring, Rather then waiting for fragmentation to occur, IntelliWrite prevents fragmentation from occuring in the first place.

By default IntelliWrite Fragmentation Prevention is ON after you install Diskeeper.

Automatic Defragmentation Mode
    In Automatic Defragmentation mode, Diskeeper works automatically in the background, with no negative performance impact on other applications that are running, improving the performance of your computer without slowing down other operations while doing so. For this reason, Automatic Defragmentation is the recommended method for keeping your computer running at its peak potential.

By default, Automatic Defragmentation is enabled on all your volumes when Diskeeper is installed. You can turn Automatic Defragmentation on or off based on a weekly pattern, or based on specific dates you choose.

I-FAAST - Intelligent File Access Acceleration Sequencing Technology
    This feature is only available for NTFS volumes. FAT volumes are not supported. I-FAAST improves file access and creation on NTFS volumes by up to 80% (average 10%-20%) above and beyond the improvement provided by defragmentation alone.

Note that I-FAAST Defragmentation is only available when Automatic Defragmentation is enabled on a volume.

Boot-Time Defragmentation Overview

Boot-Time Defragmentation consists of three independent activities:
    **Directory Defragmentation and Consolidation
    **Paging File Defragmentation
    **Master File Table (MFT) Defragmentation

PROS:
    1. Requires least manual intervention after installation
    2. Installer is not huge and installation was quick
    3. Provides Graphical representation of all the activities- Easy to understand
    4. Supports
    Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7
    5. Help file is useful

CONS:
    1. Interface is very confusing
    2. Could have an option like Expert/Advanced view to show additional menus in the interface, thereby keeping the menu/interface clean
    3. Quite costly
    4. The background service eats up the CPU up to 99% at times.

Rules:

1. Minimum posts 5
    2. Please let us know what do you currently use for defragmentation.
    3. Anything you would like to see to be added to Diskeeper.
    4. Install the trial version and post a screenshot of "System Performance Report".
    (trial download link Mike before end of the day Wednesday, April-20. [/B]The winners will then receive a download link from Diskeeper that has the license key built into them.

In case of failure another eligible participant will be passed the license.
    After sending the email please confirm here in this thread .

Thanks, Grr

Last edited by Mike; 18-04-11 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Update: Winners to be announced on Monday, April-18.

Nice detailed review Grr, screenshots are informative too

I agree when you say that the interface is confusing, using Pro Premier version myself, and I'm really confused...LOL

DO NOT count me in, good luck to all participants

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Nice detailed review Grr, screenshots are informative too

I agree when you say that the interface is confusing, using Pro Premier version myself, and I'm really confused...LOL

DO NOT count me in, good luck to all participants

True Ash.

btw I woudl be installing it soon on W7 & get better results..

Good Review Grr
    Good thing is install and forget, it will do its work in background quietly.
    Agree the Interface is really confusing and would love to see a option to switch to Advance or Basic view.
    do not count me in, Good luck who enters

The interface is damn clumsy and too confusing for newbies. The main reason is the size of the interface. If we check all the current applications the window is small and all the advanced stuffs are dumped in different tabs/sections. Instead of making one large window they should divide it into different sections and make it bit organised.
    Anyway as far as the product is concerned its quite good. Infact its must have for those who has many important stuffs in their pc and can't format regularly. I would say its a great giveaway and everybody should try to grab one copy.
    Good review grr and please don't count me

Thank you

I currently use Windows Defrag.
    Diskeeper have everything i'd like to use and it is my favourite defragmenter. One thing to "add" is some change for less CPU process consumption
    I've just installed Diskeeper Trial and below is my screenshot:

Uploaded with

Count me pls

Regards

I currently use Iobit Smart Defrag 2.0 free version. I would like to see some SSD support.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job on the review grr. Thanks for helping me out with this giveaway and sure was a clever idea on the rules. I took the advice of Nikhil by installing and forgetting as I am not experienced at all with the many options. Good Luck to everyone who enters.

Thanks Mike

Here is my screenshot
    http://i51.tinypic.com/262bjlx.png
    Last edited by Mike; 15-04-11 at 05:24 PM.

I'm using diskeeper 2010 with c***k. It's very good, so i want to use it with a liscen key !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Avinash; 09-04-11 at 08:06 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast