Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your PC's security setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I have just added SpyShelter premium 6.0 to my list. It's working fine along with KIS 2012, but sometimes it fails to auto start and i have to do it manually.
    Report it to their support team. They are very helpful

It's either too tough to develop a 64bit application or the developers are too lazy . I am sure it happens because of my 64bit OS. Anyway i'll contact them and let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It's either too tough to develop a 64bit application or the developers are too lazy . I am sure it happens because of my 64bit OS. Anyway i'll contact them and let them know.
    Their homepage says

"Windows x32/x64 compatible.(World first 64 bit anti keylogger)"
    Maybe your issue is a small bug and hopefully they can fix it.

Avira free version. Period. Safety is not got by software, I know how to be safe, avoid malicious software.
    Couple of tricks that has saved me many times:
    1. Create a folder called autorun.inf in all the drives, especially removable ones. Till date I've not had a problem of autorunning programs and virii after I found this trick. I've also applied the same trick to some other instances (can't mention as they are official), successfully to get rid of annoyances. Just delete the original file and place a folder of same name there. Works most of the time

2. Many a times I have seen executables bundled with virii. They have the original installer and another executable wrapped inside and executable that looks like the original one. Use a universal extractor (Winrar/KuaiZip also works most times) to check whether an executable is actually what it claims to be. Right click on the file and see the Winrar menu for Open with Winrar, or extract with Winrar (or similar items). If you can extract it, you can very well check what is contained inside. If Winrar doesn't show this menu item and you have doubts use a universal extractor

Bonus : try using portable versions of many programs available, to decrease load on windows registry and if anytime you reinstall windows you don't lose data and settings in these programs.

Yes i always use step 2. Many a times unlegit software come wraped in an external installer which then initiates the actual installer. IT is best to to follow imdkillers advice. But the safest option is to stop using such software. IF you are still unsure use a sandbox for such softwares. Imdkiller i have not heard of this autorun method. But I have heard a method in which he usb drive is filled with dummy files which makes it full so no virus can copy itself to it. When we want we can delete the files and put in our files. There was a software to do so but i cannot recollect its name.

Any way good tips. Imdkiller i seriously suggest you to use a firewall or surf in virtual environment.

Hey avibky thanks for the suggestion, but I still believe I'm not important enough for someone to be actually looking to get into my PC. Yeah I know, that is not necessarily the reason for someone to try to break into my PC, but other than when I am online, I disconnect. Never leave your Internet connected while not in use is one more important practice to be followed. Regarding the autorun method, I don't know whether this is 100% effective or not, but till now I have not had any issues. I got this idea myself and not from the Internet, hence it might be my discovery(WOW!), if it actually works, though. Never tested it explicitly.

OK. Can u tell me why did the autorun idea seem possible to you. Anyway its up to you. IT is not always that virus can only mean hacking. IT can also be transmitted over the pendrive or you might contract infections from the net which becomes hard to remove. And also not your vulnerable position from the security perspective might be exploited by an amateur hacker or a beginner hacker. Frankly wording it Avira free is not enough. Avira aint capable of detecting zero day malawre as avira pro-active its behavioral engine is not present in the free edition. At least switch to Avast OR Avg Free.

From your post i see you are security expert. Thus i would recommend u to try the free Comodo Internetsecurity. Dont worry its light weight.

The autorun idea can work if the files is password protected as when the virus tries to replace it it would need the password. Also changing the attribute of the file to read only may help. Seriously consider a full security suite. Better safe than sorry. My two cents.

This was the same idea my dad had until one day he got a confirmation message on his ICICI bank card about 90,000 transaction at a shopping mall in Banglore.

So its now upto u to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by avibky View Post
    OK. Can u tell me why did the autorun idea seem possible to you.
    Dunno, somehow I felt that if an autorun file is present the virus might try to overwrite it, but if it is a folder that operation would fail. I might be wrong, but hey that's just what I felt, and I never said it's foolproof
    Frankly wording it Avira free is not enough. Avira aint capable of detecting zero day malawre as avira pro-active its behavioral engine is not present in the free edition. At least switch to Avast OR Avg Free.

From your post i see you are security expert. Thus i would recommend u to try the free Comodo Internetsecurity. Dont worry its light weight.
    I got a six month license for Pro Avira in their giveaway or something. Was already thinking of trying Comodo Internet Security once it expires.
    The autorun idea can work if the files is password protected as when the virus tries to replace it it would need the password. Also changing the attribute of the file to read only may help. Seriously consider a full security suite. Better safe than sorry. My two cents.
    It's not a file, it's a folder of name autorun.inf
    This was the same idea my dad had until one day he got a confirmation message on his ICICI bank card about 90,000 transaction at a shopping mall in Banglore.

So its now upto u to decide.
    Unfortunate.. Did he get insurance coverage for it?

Yup he did. ICICI for larger transactions keeps a windows of 1Hr wherein the money can be refunded. My dad reported it and his card was taken away and a new one issued. Just lost 5000 or 6000 rs.

My setup: For the last 14 or 15 months

Realtime:
    Kaspersky Internet Security

Online Security:
    Firefox 10 with WOT, TrafficLight, Adblock Plus, LastPass and DoNotTrackPlus

On-Demand:
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    SuperAntispyware
    Emsisoft Antimalware free

For online shopping: (very rarely)
    Spyshelter Premium and Sandboxie

Passive Protection:
    SpywareBlaster

I manually monitor Startup items with Glary Utilities and running programs with System Explorer portable.
    For cleaning/whitelisting browser cookies I use Ccleaner portable and Maxa Cookie manager.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast