Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: win7 on 1gb ram

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    FF using 1 GB Something is seriously wrong. It's not the usual case Jelson
    not just FF... that's total commit charge for the entire machine as reported by Task Mgr. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I also was thinking of installing windows 7 on my old xp but guess it's not a good idea after reading this thread.
    Grr's suggestion is a good one --fresh XP install-- OR you could turn it into a Ubuntu machine. All depends on what you want to do.

RE Windows versions, there's the "required minimum", the "enough to comfortably run a couple of apps" and then the "sweet spot."

I ran XP on 512 MB for quite a while, but I had to watch what I had running in the background and what I had open to prevent swapping to virtual memory.

Currently I have a machine with 1.5 GB.

To my mind 1 GB is the sweet spot for XP, just enough for a security suite, a browser with multiple tabs open and running another app with some free memory still left over.

My guesstimate for Win7 -- given the way I like to work -- 32 bit = 4 GB & 64 bit == 6 GB (on Win7 I want to be running VMs comfortably too). But that's just my preferences. Almost everyone can get by, with much less RAM.

There's a reason for the rule of thumb I've seen on several tech blogs: which edition of Win7, 32 or 64 bit? ==> 2 GB or less = 32 bit, 3 GB+ = 64 bit.
    Last edited by jelson; 16-04-11 at 03:13 AM.

I have 4GB ram FOR w7-64BIT....
    WITH NOTHING GOING ON, IT CONSUMES 1gB...(have no AV, Firewall)

I did that with a friend who wanted to experiment first before jumping to Windows 7 x32. Used 1gb ram(512mb 2pcs) with a 256 nVidia video card first. We had to use the driver in compatibility mode. Adding another 512mb ram stick did great. Quite zippy. Even in aero. Even surfing. The old mobo had a max-out capacity of 4gb ram (P4 3Ghz) so we added some more ram stick. We ended up using just the 1.5gb combination(all alike 512mb ram stick --Kingston) as the maxed-out proved to be sluggish...even the 1gb stick(Kingston)+512mb stick (Samsung) and the 1gb stick(Kingston)+512mb stick (Kingston) was sluggish...might be the ram combinations. System Memory 1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) P4 3000 MHz Polaris i865G Ext. DDR319 SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7 2416 MB/s His 9year old kid is having a ball with it now

I reckon that everything will be fast and smooth if you have at least 2 GBs ram to run Windows 7 !

Thanks for ur reply. Its an amazing find ff uses 1gb prob a memory leak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12