Thread: Microsoft pushes update to deactivate counterfeit Windows 7 copies

Microsoft pushes update to deactivate counterfeit Windows 7 copies

Microsoft has updated Windows Activation Technologies for Windows 7 and released an update for Windows 7 which silently examines your operating system for unauthorized attempts at activating Windows 7.
    This update for Windows Activation Technologies detects validation errors and activation exploits, any tampering attempts made to important Windows 7 system files related to Windows Activation.

to continue reading.

Thank you

Thanks, I have a genuine copy..

1 imp thing, even with Windows 11 to be released sometime in future (read 2016) MS will never be able to curb unauthorizedactivation/use of their OS..

Don't be surprised if sometime soon they make a small application that you install on your PC instead of a full operating system, then you have to use the application to access the OS on an online Microsoft Server in which the only way to access it is to initially purchase your copy which is then stored on that server and the only way to access it is to login to it, but you'll be unable to login if you didn't purchase and register through their online server. Yes that sounds out there and very troublesome, but the way PC's are today it is easily possible to do something like this. You would still store your files etc. on your physical hard disc, but only be able to access them through your paid online OS.

Also, do not be surprised if we see consoles starting to do this to prevent pirated games. You'll buy the hardware (which you can't pirate) then the only way to play games is to connect to the console's server, purchase the games and play them on online servers where the games you purchase are stored rather than having physical discs. Some files could be cached/stored on the hardware, but the actual .exe file to run the game would not be accessible unless you hacked the actual server in which case it would still be useless because there would be no input on the console itself except for controllers/peripherals. All memory saves and data would be stored on the servers.

Yes maybe those ideas are out there, but they are a very real possibility in my opinion, and the tech to do it is already available. I guess it depends on cost. Does it cost more to run and maintain the servers or are they losing more money to pirates? I don't know, I just see something like this being implemented in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
    Don't be surprised if sometime soon they make a small application that you install on your PC instead of a full operating system, then you have to use the application to access the OS on an online Microsoft Server in which the only way to access it is to initially purchase your copy which is then stored on that server and the only way to access it is to login to it, but you'll be unable to login if you didn't purchase and register through their online server. Yes that sounds out there and very troublesome, but the way PC's are today it is easily possible to do something like this. You would still store your files etc. on your physical hard disc, but only be able to access them through your paid online OS.

Also, do not be surprised if we see consoles starting to do this to prevent pirated games. You'll buy the hardware (which you can't pirate) then the only way to play games is to connect to the console's server, purchase the games and play them on online servers where the games you purchase are stored rather than having physical discs. Some files could be cached/stored on the hardware, but the actual .exe file to run the game would not be accessible unless you hacked the actual server in which case it would still be useless because there would be no input on the console itself except for controllers/peripherals. All memory saves and data would be stored on the servers.

Yes maybe those ideas are out there, but they are a very real possibility in my opinion, and the tech to do it is already available. I guess it depends on cost. Does it cost more to run and maintain the servers or are they losing more money to pirates? I don't know, I just see something like this being implemented in the near future.
    Then we should have an internet connection like you Jeremy

Genuine here also. Now that will be a selfish move. The Linux crowd will be growing if they do that and imho will be the end of MS.

Not every countries spent high on internet infrastructures. There are many countries where internet connection sucks and moreover still there are many countries where not even 20% people have 24 hrs internet connection. So what you are telling will be possible infact it has already been implemented (cloud computing) but it will remain as just an option and not the only option.