Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Spyware Terminator 2.6

Question Anyone using Spyware Terminator 2.6

Anyone using Spyware Terminator 2.6?

I seem to have problems with it. Keeps freezing my PC randomly
    Their forums arent really helpful, they just advise to uninstall,reinstall and try disabling some options.
    Ok if you disable some features that you really need, like Real-time shield or HIPS and then the software works,
    whats the point in actually using it?

I am using Spyware Terminator 2.3.
    All features enabled, works like a charm.
    Updated to the latest database a few mins back. :-)

So anyone know any solutions to fix the latest version to run smoothly?

Frankly speaking I never liked real time protection of these anti spyware or malware tools. For me real time protection provided by AV solutions are good enough if you browse using safe practices.

Enabling real time protection of so many tools obviously will lead to freeze your system one time or other.

Freezing of Spyware terminator is reported by many users over the web and it seems something related to the product. Hence you should wait for the next release. May be they will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Frankly speaking I never liked real time protection of these anti spyware or malware tools. For me real time protection provided by AV solutions are good enough if you browse using safe practices.

Enabling real time protection of so many tools obviously will lead to freeze your system one time or other.

Freezing of Spyware terminator is reported by many users over the web and it seems something related to the product. Hence you should wait for the next release. May be they will fix it.

Hmm, maybe it is Kaspersky's excellent protection that makes you feel secure

Anyway, i have absolutely no conflicts at all with my security setup.
    No lockups or slow down with ST 2.3

And i will wait for 2.6 to be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Anyone using Spyware Terminator 2.6?

I seem to have problems with it. Keeps freezing my PC randomly
    Their forums arent really helpful, they just advise to uninstall,reinstall and try disabling some options.
    Ok if you disable some features that you really need, like Real-time shield or HIPS and then the software works,
    whats the point in actually using it?

I am using Spyware Terminator 2.3.
    All features enabled, works like a charm.
    Updated to the latest database a few mins back. :-)

So anyone know any solutions to fix the latest version to run smoothly?
    I did installed the latest version of Spyware Terminator,but had to uninstall it bcoz it slowed my systems.Just like Avinash said maybe we must wait for the stable version release.The updates are also large and takes quite some time to install.Others like SAS Pro,Prevx, are also having problems with some of it users too,maybe next release version will more stable for these too.

what is ur OS and what else u have installed?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    what is ur OS and what else u have installed?
    I have lost count of how many times i have done this (no offense Grr)

This is going to be a very long post, try to read it :-)

Win XP Home SP3 (Windows update enabled, and up to date)
    NIS 2010
    Comodo firewall 4 (bcoz NIS smart firewall doesnt block applications from getting installed or communicating to the internet)

If ST 2.3 with real-time shield, web security guard,HIPS fully enabled can work flawlessy with the above, why isnt 2.6 working?

I asked my friends to test it and ST 2.6 doesnt work on their XP home, XP pro, Vista Home premium.

And it is not just me, head over to their forum and see for yourself, almost everyone has reverted to ST 2.3 complaining of ST 2.6 their freezing PCs.

I posted everything on Spyware Terminator forum too.
    Only a few posts get posted on their forum everyday and they dont bother to reply for 2 to 4 days.
    And the reply they eventually give?
    Uninstall, restart your PC, reinstall ST,enable one feature at a time and test, it did not help me.
    There are plenty of bugs in their software and they wont admit it.
    This is the trouble with free software, no dedicated support. :-(

But still i love ST 2.3, blocks threats like a premium software should.

The latest database is the same for 2.3 and 2.6, so the protection is the same, but 2.6 has the following important features in addition to previous versions.

Allow Mode � All actions guarded by Spyware Terminator are allowed, instead of being denied as threats which are automatically blocked.

Deny Mode: All actions guarded by Spyware Terminator are denied, instead of being allowed as safe items.

White List: contains a list of user added programs that are allowed by all shields without asking.

Black List: contains a list of user added actions, which are denied by all shields without asking.

Review List: All actions are automatically added to a Review List giving the user an opportunity to change their decision about previously allowed or denied actions.

HIPS Modes: Version 2.6 also features an enhanced HIPS function allowing the user to choose from two application controls based on their experience level.

* Low Mode is designed for less experienced users and will reduce the number of HIPS alerts.
    * High Mode is suitable for experienced users, who want to have their computer fully controlled.

Custom Shields: enable experienced users to specify Real-Time Shield behavior in detail.

If I am wrong correct me. NIS and Comodo both should not be running at same time unless you have disabled the firewall of NIS but that seems a rare possibility as NIS performs many actions which are not directly related to firewall but are based on it.

May be you are so paranoid about security but IMHO you should remove comodo or you can use Norton AV instead of NIS if you do not want to remove Comodo.

If I am wrong correct me. NIS and Comodo both should not be running at same time unless you have disabled the firewall of NIS but that seems a rare possibility as NIS performs many actions which are not directly related to firewall but are based on it.

May be you are so paranoid about security but IMHO you should remove comodo or you can use Norton AV instead of NIS if you do not want to remove Comodo.
    Not conflicting my friend,

NIS firewall is configured to block known intrusions and threats, so it is not a full firewal.
    It does not block applications accessing the internet.
    So it is not extremely powerful, yet but reasonably good.
    Besides NIS safe web toolbar is very good. Works in IE and FF. So i wont degrade to NAV

NIS smart firewall failed the leaktest, it automatically allowed the leaktest app to connect.
    Thats why i use Comodo as a full firewall.
    Comodo asks my permission whenever an application tries to access the internet.

BTW, I use Norton AV and Outpost Pro in my other PC.

I would still ask you to remove one and your system will be better. Anyway, its your choice if you can live two firewalls on your system.

Thumbs up

I would still ask you to remove one and your system will be better. Anyway, its your choice if you can live two firewalls on your system.
    Ok fine, i have removed comodo now.

But Norton does not block apps that access internet, i hope Spyware Terminator will do that for me :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast