Thread: XP won't boot on Acer Aspire Netbook

XP won't boot on Acer Aspire Netbook

Greetings,
    I'm having a problem with my Acer Aspire One netbook with XP home edition. To make a long story short, it basically won't boot. When I start it, I get a quick flash of blue screen (cannot make out what it says since it is so fast) and then goes to black screen stating there is an issue and has options to start in safe mode, etc. After any option I select it restarts and loops back to this same screen. I cannot boot in safe mode.
    I haven't had any problems with the computer until I installed a free version of Bitdefender 2009 (off bitdefender website) that I planned to use as a scanner only- as advertised, in conjunction to my regular AV (Panda cloud pro). After rebooting the computer following installation, my resolution was low (800x600?- or equivalent- sorry don't remember exactly) and I was not able to change it. I tried to uninstall the bitdefender but it locked up and I had to reboot. After rebooting I loaded Comodo uninstaller and noticed that bitdefender was still partially there , so I forced it to uninstall. It worked for a little while but then sporadic things started happening after reboots like no sound, error messages such as lsass.exe system error- the endpoint format is invalid, something about hal.dll. I then ran CC cleaner, Glary utilities- registry cleaner and here I am, not able to boot at all.
    If at all possible, I would like to avoid to have to do a complete re-install to prevent losing data and I have tinkered with Hiren's CD boot earlier today, but I do not know how to use it for this problem or if it is even the right tool for it.
    I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

A quick search on Google about "lsass.exe system error" reveals several possible scenarios. Virus/malware, damaged hard disk, registry errors etc.

Since you are unable to boot into safe mode or normal mode, I would suggest you try booting into recovery mode with the Windows XP CD.
    But if I remember correctly the Aspire One doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, you can try plugging a usb CD drive if you have one.

If you don't have a USB CD drive, you can use a USB flash drive:

Else, try this method:

If it fails, you have no choice but to format the hard disk. Use Acer erecovery console to restore it to factory defaults.

Detailed instructions given here:

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Hi,

A quick search on Google about "lsass.exe system error" reveals several possible scenarios. Virus/malware, damaged hard disk, registry errors etc.

Since you are unable to boot into safe mode or normal mode, I would suggest you try booting into recovery mode with the Windows XP CD.
    But if I remember correctly the Aspire One doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, you can try plugging a usb CD drive if you have one.

If you don't have a USB CD drive, you can use a USB flash drive:

Else, try this method:

If it fails, you have no choice but to format the hard disk. Use Acer erecovery console to restore it to factory defaults.

Detailed instructions given here:
    Hi Ashwin,
    Thank you for the quick and detailed response. I will try the first method, but not sure where I can get the Windows XP to put on the USB since the netbook didn't come with one. Does microsoft or the manufacturer (Acer) offer this or do I have to obtain it and then proceed with the transfer to USB using Win to Flash program? There is nothing in Hiron's CD boot that can diagnose or solve this problem I assume?

Brah1 to put xp on ur pendrive do the following.
    1. Download novicorp wintoflash
    2. Put in ur pendrive
    3.Insert ur windows xp install disk
    4. Launch the application.
    5. follow the instructions, select windows xp and select the path of pendrive and the cd drive in the appropriate boxes.
    6.Start the process. (Note in this process ur pendrive will be formated)
    7. After the transfer is over, Reboot laptop, Enter the bios by pressing f8 or delete.
    8. Go to advanced cmos settings
    9. In the first boot device, select it as usb hdd or anyother suitable option according to ur laptop( Pls consult ur laptop manual if u dont know abt it)
    10. Save changes and it will boot from the pd.

Note: I hv noticed that xp install through a pendrive is slower than the cd method. But the same for win7 and vista is not true. They are faster through he pendrive method

pls report back

Quote Originally Posted by brah1 View Post
    Hi Ashwin,
    Thank you for the quick and detailed response. I will try the first method, but not sure where I can get the Windows XP to put on the USB since the netbook didn't come with one. Does microsoft or the manufacturer (Acer) offer this or do I have to obtain it and then proceed with the transfer to USB using Win to Flash program? There is nothing in Hiron's CD boot that can diagnose or solve this problem I assume?
    The Operating system you got is an OEM, licensed to Acer by Microsoft. So MS won't support you.
    You can try getting a copy from Acer but it won't be free. Try calling their tech support or order one from Acer support website here a few days back

Product page:

Get the license from the Promo page:

It says that it will fix many problems including,

Windows Recovery - Provide a complete solution set for all Windows crash and booting problems including booting failure, virus affection, blue/black screen, and more.
    P.S: I haven't used Hiren's Boot CD, perhaps someone else can help you with it.

Sorry to know that u got into this problem.

If it's an Acer and didn't come with any Recovery CD, it Should have the recovery partition.

Tell us the model so that we could help locate the right key topress-to launch the recovery menu.

Also as u said it's looping, it looks like that some system file went missing or got corrupted, so it would reach to a level and then say press some key to restart.

Please tell the following:

1. Laptop model
    2. if it has a CD-ROM
    3. Do u have access to a XP Home edition CD, or could borrow
    4. Do a safe boot and tell clearly at what step it fails
    5. Did u try: Last Known Good Configuration?

Please revert back.

Thanks, Grr