Thread: How to Connect two Monitors to same system

How to Connect two Monitors to same system

Anyone of you ever tried connecting two monitors to same system same time?

If yes, how to do that? Any software or hardware requirements?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Avi dont hv two monitors. I hv an old crt monitor lol

To connect multiple monitors, you need additional VGA/DVI/HDMI ports.

If you have a graphics card that has an extra port you can connect them on each port

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    To connect multiple monitors, you need additional VGA/DVI/HDMI ports.

If you have a graphics card that has an extra port you can connect them on each port
    NO separate graphics card here but in my laptop I have a port perhaps which can be used for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    NO separate graphics card here but in my laptop I have a port perhaps which can be used for this.
    Yes you can, I totally forgot that (Thanks to Arnab for reminding me)

perhaps this link can help you:

Connecting dual monitors and adding a monitor/LCD tv to laptop is two different things. I have done the later while playing games and watching movies so i can help you in that. If you want to add a LCD tv to your laptop then you need a HDMI cable. Just put one end to tv and another end to laptop, select HDMI option from the tv remote and you are done.
    If you want to connect a monitor to your laptop then i guess you need to check your monitor cable. If it's DVI cable then you need a DVI-HDMI converter since laptop don't have a DVI port.
    If its a CRT monitor then it should have VGA cable and still laptops support VGA port, so just insert the cable to the respective port and you are done.

For laptop->External Monitor---need VGA cable
    For laptop->TV/Screen---need HDMI cable

I have connected a laptop to my pc through my monitors VGA cable but color resolution wont go more than 8bits and resolution is stuck and 800 by 600. Then installed the graphic card driver and i could use it. Did this setup as my uncles old laptops display was not working. IF you have not installed the graphic card driver, and if your laptop monitor is not working do the following
    1- Connect your monitor
    2- Switch on the monitor and your laptop
    3-Keep pressing f8 until on your monitor you see a menu
    4- Select Vga mode.
    5-Windows will load and install your graphic driver.

What I would like is to connect my Lenovo laptop to a flatscreen and turn off the laptop's own display. I can have them both displaying the same screen, or make them play complementary part of one screen simultaneously, but so far I did not manage to enable just the secundary flatscreen display only.

What you can do is take a look at your Laptop's manual if you have it, or go to your laptop manufacturer's website. Most laptops have a special function key or a combination of keys to turn off the laptop's screen while keeping the laptop running. If you can tell me the brand (Lenovo right?) of your laptop and the model (i.e. ThinkPad, IdeaPad etc. with the model number), I can help you find the answer.

Try Holding down the Fn (Function) key while pressing the F7 Key to turn off your laptop's display. To turn it back on, Hold down the Fn key while pressing the F7 key again. (You may have to do it twice to turn it back on.)

Or you can try
    Fn+F2 instead of Fn+F7. The Fn combination varies with different models so if neither of those combinations work, check your manual for the Fn combination keys.

Let me know if that works.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 10-11-11 at 05:46 PM.