Thread: Does anyone know of any free softwares for Usb pen drive recovery?

Does anyone know of any free softwares for Usb pen drive recovery?

Does anyone know of any free softwares for Usb pen drive recovery?

I found my old Kingston 2gb pen drive while rummaging through my chest-of-drawers today.

Ok a little flashback here,

About a year ago, my uncle gave the pen drive to a client of mine to copy some documents.
    He gave it to his colleague whose laptop was infected. He didnt know it was infected.
    When we plugged it onto my secondary computer it crashed the PC.
    My client's Pc also crashed and so did the laptop.
    (1 worm = 3 crashed PCs, not funny) The worm was w32.Harakit
    I was having Avast 4.x at the time and it was ineffective, which lead me to buy Norton.

Anyway, now that i have found my old usb pen drive (the virus was removed last year, so no risk)
    and tried to plug it in both my computers which have Norton, it doesnt work.

In "My computer" it shows removable disk, but doesnt show the disk size.
    I tried clicking on it, it says please insert a disk???

So my question is,
    Is there a way i can fix this by some recovery software, as im pretty sure Kingston will not replace it even though the packaging says its got a 5 year warranty?

Note: I have a Transcend 4 gb Memory stick which works fine on all the usb ports in both my PCs, so it is not a usb port issue.

I have written about such a tool called diskdigger few months back. Have a look.

http://www.avinashtech.com/software/download-diskdigger-all-in-one-undeleterecover-utility/

btw, If its a 5 year warranty, they will replace it if you submit it to their service centre. I have my portable hard disk replcaed even after 2-3 years though its not kingston. Give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    I have written about such a tool called diskdigger few months back. Have a look.

http://www.avinashtech.com/software/download-diskdigger-all-in-one-undeleterecover-utility/

btw, If its a 5 year warranty, they will replace it if you submit it to their service centre. I have my portable hard disk replcaed even after 2-3 years though its not kingston. Give it a try
    Do you think they wont be able to find out it was infected?
    Isnt it better to be honest and try to get it replaced?

If the problem is that its just infected, Just format the pendrive and it should work.

If the problem is somewhat related to bad hardware then you can ask for a replacement.

If the problem is that its just infected, Just format the pendrive and it should work.

If the problem is somewhat related to bad hardware then you can ask for a replacement.
    I tried formatting it , it says unable to format.
    Im gonna look for Kingston's local service center and try with them, i think the disk inside the pen drive may have bad sectors.

Try doing a command line format using "Forced " Handle. Hope you got me what i am trying to say here.

Try doing a command line format using "Forced " Handle. Hope you got me what i am trying to say here.
    Hey Avii,

I downloaded this:

Code:
    http://download.chip.eu/en/USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool_176935.html
    This tool worked! i tested my pen drive in both the computers! :-) :-D

This would be an alternative.
    HP USB disk format tool.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml