Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frequent Antivirus warning on System Files

Frequent Antivirus warning on System Files

There is frequent occurrence of harmful or infected files/folders found in System Volume Information Folders by Avira AntiVir Premium from time and time. It happens once to twice in a month. What is the cause of this problem and how can I deal with this from now on besides normal scanning and quarantined/removal by Avira premium as usual.
    Would Forum members advise any remedy actions or precaution measures to prevent future occurrence of existing problem.
    Thanks for your kind assistance!

Quote Originally Posted by hakah View Post
    There is frequent occurrence of harmful or infected files/folders found in System Volume Information Folders by Avira AntiVir Premium from time and time. It happens once to twice in a month. What is the cause of this problem and how can I deal with this from now on besides normal scanning and quarantined/removal by Avira premium as usual.
    Would Forum members advise any remedy actions or precaution measures to prevent future occurrence of existing problem.
    Those are system restore files. They must contain some infected files from a previous restore point.

You must have quarantined/removed the infections after those system restore points were created.

Those files could be harmful, you can delete them.

check this thread at MBAM forum:
    Last edited by Ashwin; 13-08-11 at 09:26 PM.

System restore files can be safely deleted if you are not facing any issues at the moment you are deleting those files. I usually clear up the system restore files in a week or month. These files may be infected.

I would also suggest you to check with some on demand scanners like MBAM/SAS (both free) to check whether its really infected or a false alert.

After getting the alert did you revome the files? If yes then how come they are coming back? Either a false positive or Avira not good enough to stop it??

I've already got reply from MBAM Forum to have system restore files deleted prior thorough scanning by AntiVirus software and MBAM as well. But I just want to make sure if there are any precautionary steps necessary to be performed first before going ahead for the removal.
    Avinash:
    System restore files can be safely deleted if you are not facing any issues at the moment you are deleting those files. I usually clear up the system restore files in a week or month. These files may be infected.
    Can you advise the detailed steps on such removal since you are an expert on it. Any backup is necessary ? Many thanks !

Alpha:
    After getting the alert did you revome the files? If yes then how come they are coming back? Either a false positive or Avira not good enough to stop it??
    I am surprised they just come back again and again after removal and I just don't know why? Any suggestion? Thanks!

Ashwin:
    Those are system restore files. They must contain some infected files from a previous restore point.
    You must have quarantined/removed the infections after those system restore points were created.
    Those files could be harmful, you can delete them.
    check this thread at MBAM forum:
    Many thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by hakah; 14-08-11 at 08:16 AM.

do the following in sequence:

1. delete all existing the restore points.
    2. create a new restore point
    3. restart system
    4. disconnect from internet
    5. create another restore point
    6. scan
    7. report here

Grr: how to delete and create the system restore point? Do we have to back it up first ? Thanks!

Avinash:
    Can you advise the detailed steps on such removal since you are an expert on it. Any backup is necessary ? Many thanks !
    I am not a Expert. I just learn things on the way. Anyway, I made a post on blog just for you. Check it out.

Avinash :
    I am not a Expert. I just learn things on the way. Anyway, I made a post on blog just for you. Check it out.

Grr: how to delete and create the system restore point? Do we have to back it up first ? Thanks!
    Delete:

How to remove all System Restore points except the most recent one

To do this:-
    Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Click Disc Cleanup
    Now launch this utility and click More Options tab. Under which click System Restore and followed by that click Clean Up tab a message will popup -Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?Click Yes then OK. Finally another message will popup-Are you sure you want to perform these actions?Click Yes.
    Now, all the System Restore points except the most recent one are cleaned. As a result there will be more free space in hard disk.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Create new:

How do I create a System Restore point?

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore
    For Classic Start Menu: Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.
    Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.

In the Restore point description box, type a name to identify this restore point. System Restore automatically adds to this name the date and time that this Restore Point is created.

To finish creating this restore point, click Create.
    You can also launch System Restore window by typing the command below, in the RUN box:

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

No need to backup anything

All above assuming u have Windows XP. If not , specify ur OS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast