Thread: Splash EX Pro Giveaway : Discussion and Review/ feedback

Splash EX Pro Giveaway : Discussion and Review/ feedback

Here is a small, personal review and feedback for the recent giveaway of Splash EX Pro. For a detailed review by Arnab and posted by Mike, please see the post in this thread here:

I was one of the lucky winners and I thank Mirillis, Mike, and Avinashtech for the wonderful Giveaway. Alpha posted that he was interested to hear some feedback on the player so here is a small review for those interested.

My first impression of this player was WOW. It has a nice, clean interface, is easy to navigate, and ready to get started with right away. My biggest concern with any video player is it's ability to play different video formats and have the necessary codecs. This player has been able to play anything I have thrown at it and the picture quality is stunning! (Of course picture quality will vary depending on the quality of the source video.)

I watch a lot of .mkv formatted videos and sometimes they can be difficult to play on some players because it uses more than two tracks (most video uses two tracks, audio and video). In .mkv videos, it uses several tracks to separate audio, video subtitles etc. to get better quality and it really shows when using the Splash EX Pro video player. Splash EX Pro also utilizes hardware acceleration (in my case, nVIDIA CUDA Technology).

One problem I found was when playing an .avi formatted movie or video clip, when trying to fast-forward or skip to a section of the clip, the player stops working. This could be a problem for most users since .avi is a very popular video format. I may contact Mirillis' tech support team to see if there is a fix for this.

All in all in my opinion Splash EX Pro is an awesome video player and plays HD videos very nicely. Since I have won it has been the only video player I use to watch video on the PC.

Here are a few screenshots of the player in action with h.264 .mkv formatted videos. These pictures do not do the player justice.

Attachment 325

Attachment 326

Attachment 327

*Note all images/video belong to their respective owners.
    For illustrative purposes only.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 21-08-11 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks for the inputs Jeremy. As far as the problem with avi files are concerned even i faced it too. No idea why it is happening, will look forward to developers reply. Thank you

Jeremy,
    Thanks for the feedback on the Splash Pro player. I myself downloaded the 30 day trial but have not had much time to use it but from what I have read so far sounds like a good player to get. Glad to see you are enjoying this win.

Thank you Mike. It really is a great player and I am very lucky and happy to have won it. I used to use WMP to watch video, although I had to download external codecs to try to play some video on it. WMP is nice but Splash EX pro has more features and the picture quality is very good. Like I said, since I won it is the only player I use now. I will try to contact their tech support to see if there is a fix for the .avi problem. I see that Alpha is also experiencing the same issue.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

I wrote an e-mail to Mirillis' tech support about the .avi issue. In the meantime, while browsing their forums one of their team members had this response to the issue:

"At the moment FFWD is available only for AVCHD structure playback.
    We plan to add this in future versions for normal files playback too."

So it appears that only AVCHD video can use FFWD thus the issue with.avi video. I will post their response from the e-mail I sent once I receive it.

Nice review Jeremy.

What is the resource usage?