Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free AVG Antivirus 2012 released [Review] - Discussion

Smile Free AVG Antivirus 2012 released [Review] - Discussion

As we all know that AVG is one of those security Vendors who provide a Free Antivirus solution which is quite good if you do not compare it with the paid Antivirus solutions. The latest version of Free AVG Antivirus 2012 is released and boasts of improved speed, better scan times and* detection. This AVG Free Antivirus comes anti-virus, Linkscanner, [...]
    This story, , was originally published at

Thanks Avi, good review. you covered all the important points.

Nice to know that the performance is smoother than previous versions.

Update size is too big, but most AVs have such a large signature database.

Considering the online installer's size is 52 mb, and the offline installer's size is 150 mb, I doubt that the language files could be 100 mb.
    Has anyone tested the offline installer ? perhaps it contains a virus signature database too.

Offline installers for AVG antivirus 2012 can be downloaded from here [ official AVG Page]

you can select 32 bit or 64 bit.

For those of you who are wondering where did I get this link, so here is the source link

Great review avi. But, in my tests I observed few things contradictory to yours. The reason must be because I already had AVG Linkscanner installed, before installing AVG Free edition.

1. My Update size was just 15.3 MB against your 64 MB. I think the reason would be linkscanner. You've downloaded and installed all the components, whereas I already have linkscanner so it skipped linkscanner from downloading. Also, if you guys don't want to install linkscanner then you can choose Custom Install while installation and uncheck linkscanner. This may reduce the update size.

Apart from above point the performance results were same as avi said, in fact AVG took 30 MB on my Windows 7 and the usage while scanning was like what avi said. By default the scan was set to High Priority mode and hence it consumes more memory. So, if you want a balance between scanning and usability you can decrease the priority to Low Priority or Medium Priority.

I observed few other things, regarding the change of search engine etc... I'll update it here after checking and confirming those issues.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Another thing, the reason for that heavy offline installer may be attributed to linkscanner as it may be bundled with the offline installer of free edition. The offline installer of the linkscanner itself is around 76MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    1. My Update size was just 15.3 MB against your 64 MB. I think the reason would be linkscanner. You've downloaded and installed all the components, whereas I already have linkscanner so it skipped linkscanner from downloading. Also, if you guys don't want to install linkscanner then you can choose Custom Install while installation and uncheck linkscanner. This may reduce the update size.

Another thing, the reason for that heavy offline installer may be attributed to linkscanner as it may be bundled with the offline installer of free edition. The offline installer of the linkscanner itself is around 76MB.
    Just to check your point, I did a fresh install and deselected the Linkscanner component. Guess what? The installation file size reduced from 52 MB to just 38 MB. So update size has nothing to do with linkscanner here.

Attachment 332

Just installed AVG from offline installer. Update finished in barely 30 seconds. It can't be 68mb, because I am not on a high speed connection

Here is the update size with NO Linkscanner component installed. Its still 64.8 MB.

Attachment 333

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Here is the update size with NO Linkscanner component installed. Its still 64.8 MB.
    why does Link scanner want such a large file. perhaps it has its own database?

Just checked the size of Linkscanner 76.8 mb

-->

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    why does Link scanner want such a large file. perhaps it has its own database?

Just checked the size of Linkscanner 76.8 mb
    No Linkscanner was installed here. I was talking about the update file size for AVG Antivirus without even Linkscanner installed and the file size for the update was still huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    No Linkscanner was installed here. I was talking about the update file size for AVG Antivirus without even Linkscanner installed and the file size for the update was still huge.
    Well as I said, the offline installer has some database and hence didn't download a bigger one.

I can give it to friends, they don't have to re-download it

Btw I have 6 tabs open in FF, AVG scan running in the background. Sys performance is fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast