Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FBVPN Giveaway : Discussion and Review/ feedback

FBVPN Giveaway : Discussion and Review/ feedback

First off I wanted to say thanks to Av and FBVPN for having this giveaway. I have been excited to try a pro VPN Service out for a long time.

The Pros

FBVPN was very easy to setup without the need for extra software to download. They have good tutorials on how to set up the VPN directly through windows.

FBVPN does secure your connection and give you a different IP which I verified to be working.

FBVPN gives you a real sense of privacy knowing that your connection is safe from prying eyes, even if you have nothing to hide.

The Cons

I have not found a way to start the connection automatically with the computer (Although there may be a way, I just haven't found it yet)

The biggest downfall to the whole deal is the speed. Now for normal browsing, the speed is fine and may be good for some connections but when your trying to buffer a few youtube videos while browsing other sites, you notice the speed cap although I didn't think there was supposed to be one.

I did some speed tests and here are the results.

Here is my speed normally

Attachment 338

and here is my speed through the VPN which seems to be capped at 4mbits

Attachment 339

All in all, I do think that it is a good service because I experienced no down time or hesitation while doing normal browsing and I intend to use the service. But for those moments where I know I will be doing some heavy browsing/watching, I will have to switch to my normal connection
    Last edited by TeXaCo; 11-09-11 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks Texaco for the Feedback. Most winners dont leave a feedback after getting the license keys etc. Glad to see a feedback.

Regarding the speed limit, I didnt felt it while testing due the reason that I am on 2 Mbps speed and hence it was same for me. BUt as your normal speed is much higher and hence you may have felt it if there is any limit imposed.

Thank you for the feedback Texaco.

Other members have showed significant speed loss as well. However, you have to take into account which server(s) you are connecting to. If the FBVPN server is close, you won't show much signs of slowdown unless they do indeed cap the speed. If the server you run through is in a different country or is a good distance from you, loosing speed is inevitable simply because you have to run through their FBVPN server first before actually connecting to other servers. If the distance you have to travel before reaching your desired FBVPN is great, then it will show signs of slowdown. ( you can verify this by determining which FBVPN server you run through, then by using your normal ISP, do a ping test to that server or a server located in the same area as the FBVPBN and you'll notice that the ping test should show your ping and download and upload speeds to be similar). This is something FBVPN has no control over.

If you notice in Texaco's post, the server he pings to determine his speed in the first test (which shows 24 Mbps Download speed) is New Jersey, which is less than 100 miles where his computer is. The second test shows his ping to be much slower at 2.8 Mbps but if you notice he is pinging LA, California which from New Jersey is approximately 2,856 miles away from the first server ping test. This example shows that the further away your proxy is, the slower your ping will be.

One must ponder speed vs. security and which is most important for the current task you are performing.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12-09-11 at 09:29 AM.

Hi Jeremy,

Yes you are correct they are different servers and distance apart from each other so I retested my speed to the same server I was using with FBVPN with. This speed test is without using the FBVPN service. This is my normal connection to the same server across the country in Los Angeles, Here is the result

Attachment 340

so as you can see, it is slower than the original speed of the server in New Jersey but still a considerable slowdown. from 15 to 2mbits

Also, the server I was using through FBVPN was in Los Angeles, CA. The same location as the speed test was performed on
    Last edited by TeXaCo; 12-09-11 at 09:40 AM.

Thank you for the update Texaco. One thing you can perform to try to determine exactly where you are going when running through a proxy or without a proxy is using the tracert command in Windows and see exactly which servers you have to go through before reaching your destination. For instructions on how to use this command if you are not familiar can be read here:

C:\tracert (put desired IP here)You may be getting faster speeds directly pinging California through your ISP because you are going directly there and only need to travel approx. 2,350. It may be when you run a proxy and do a speed test, you first have to travel to the proxy (in your case California) then the ping has to travel all the way back to NJ for your result instead of a straight shot. If that is the case, it would mean the distance would be approximately 2,350 miles to the server and 2,350 miles back to the source which equals 4,700 total miles. If that is the case, then I can definitely see why you would have a dramatic loss in speed. However the way I understand ping is that you send out a "ping" and the time it takes for it to return and "ping" you gives you the resulted time so I am probably wrong. I will have to look into it.

I am a novice at Networking so what I am suggesting is what I have observed over the years with this stuff, I could be way off but that is my thoughts on what could be causing it.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12-09-11 at 09:53 AM.

FBVPN think is very appropriate, the speed that I can also very good, I've tried some other vpn, its speed is almost balanced but FBVPN is more stable, unless I use it during the day, videos that I watch often lag.
    But it's not a problem for me, as long as I can still visit my favorite sites, I'm very grateful for this gift.

Didn't notice any speed difference as I am on a 2mbps conn.

Googled about starting a VPN at boot, apparently you can use the Task scheduler for that. I just use a desktop shortcut for the VPN connection.

Btw you have to use the IP of the server which you got in your email, not the trial one at the tutorial. I forgot to do that the first time

US PPTP VPN Address : xx.xxx.xx.xx

Thanks Avinash for the FBVPN account, I haven't tried yet but will be doing that very soon.I believe I have to test how anonymous it can make me i.e. hiding my original IP from all kinds of leak, most VPN's fail do this primary thing.

Reporting...... I am running on a low 384 Kbps bandwidth. No slow down nor instability issue found..... The throughput is barely different with my direct connection.
    I may say that FBVPN is the best PPTP service I've found so far. But a more valid judgement should be made by users who run on 1 Mbps bandwidth or higher. If I think about it, it is getting on my nerves knowing you who have such speed. 2 Mbps, 4 Mbps, 24 Mbps? Damn you!
    Put some discretion for me. I could achieve those numbers only on my dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Thanks Texaco for the Feedback. Most winners dont leave a feedback after getting the license keys etc. Glad to see a feedback.

Regarding the speed limit, I didnt felt it while testing due the reason that I am on 2 Mbps speed and hence it was same for me. BUt as your normal speed is much higher and hence you may have felt it if there is any limit imposed.
    I feel strucked by your words, Avinash. You remind me that I haven't written anyhing about Snagit I won last year.

I was connecting to the us server without any problems and the speed was allowing me to watch live streaming events in hd.I thought this was most impressive.
    However after reading the other thread regarding this I tried contacting them to get access to the uk server.After ignoring my mails I got help from a mod here(many thanks)who I won't mention in case in creates a problem with fbvpn.
    I have had problems at times connecting,with the popular 691 error(wrong/expired username/password even though my account is valid until March 2012.)
    The lack of response from support and the more frequent problems accessing either server means my initial great praise for this product is now greatly reduced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast