Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Download Windows 8 pre-beta (Developer Preview) ISO 32 bit and 64 bit - Discussion

Smile Download Windows 8 pre-beta (Developer Preview) ISO 32 bit and 64 bit - Discussion

After a long wait and speculation, Windows 8 Developer preview (pre-beta) edition is finally*available*to download directly from Microsoft. It was released by Microsoft yesterday in their BUILD event of Windows 8 to everyone. As the BUILD event showcased whats inside Windows 8 and almost everyone who watched it, felt thrilled. Hopefully Microsoft has done its homework right again this time [...]

Everybody thought they will released the beta version but instead they released another dev preview.... guess i'll wait for the beta.

Can't seem to find out if the ISO can be mounted and run with Virtual Clone Drive or similar-not going to DL if I have to burn and actually install this on a PC just to check it out-anybody???

Quote Originally Posted by detailer View Post
    The method doesn't work on many system including two of my desktops and laptops.

Seems it does for some,but I'm asking myself,is it really worth jumping through all these hoops for a taste of this new multi purpose OS that's still in it's infancy? I mean,how much of it's functionality will we really get the chance to experience? We aren't even talking RC here,so unless you have a spare test box with some decent hardware kicking around,is it worth it? I'll wait for something a little closer to the final release,hopefully that I can run from the .ISO without having to re-invent the wheel on one of my fully functional PC's-not worth the time or the risk IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by detailer View Post
    Seems it does for some,but I'm asking myself,is it really worth jumping through all these hoops for a taste of this new multi purpose OS that's still in it's infancy? I mean,how much of it's functionality will we really get the chance to experience? We aren't even talking RC here,so unless you have a spare test box with some decent hardware kicking around,is it worth it? I'll wait for something a little closer to the final release,hopefully that I can run from the .ISO without having to re-invent the wheel on one of my fully functional PC's-not worth the time or the risk IMHO
    I do agree with you and thats why its called Developer Preview or pre-beta build which means that its not for average users.

This build is for only those who want to have a test of what the new Windows 8 would be like. And its still atleast a year to go before the final version comes (no official dates are out still).

So, if you have a spare PC or even a spare Hard drive partition with 20-25 GB free space, you can use it as dual boot with your existing Windows. Virtual machines even if successfully installed Windoaws 8 wont show you what it is capable of. You need a physical install to test it. I am writing this from Windows 8 itself and its quite stable considering the fact that its still not a beta version.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    The method doesn't work on many system including two of my desktops and laptops.
    Are you running 64bit on those machines?? if so, i know there is issues if you dont go in to enable the emmulation thing (something like that) that can give you problems.. have you tried installing 8 in VB as a 32bit instead?

I am worried a bit about Windows 8. They have a whole new GUI and I am afraid most people will not latch onto it, especially businesses. And this whole idea of an app store worries me even more. It is designed for touchscreen systems (although you can still use a mouse and keyboard) but how many of us have or can afford a PC monitor-sized touchscreen right now? I'll try some beta builds but I think they are taking a big chance at this stage in computing. I think it may be an easier interface to use for casual PC users, but for power users like us, I think we will be disappointed. The impression I get is a Tablet OS on a PC. That is my opinion as of right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast