Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: utorrent.com security breached, hackers place malware instead of the installer

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Just go to Open Office or Ubuntu's website. They have torrent links to download the softwares.
    There are some sites exclusively for legally free torrents.
    You named just 2, i can name thousands stuffs which are illegal on torrents. Everybody know what people do with torrents or p2p stuffs so i don't i need to say anything more.

Utorrent.com doesn't host torrents, its just a software's homepage, which is still no reason for hacking them.
    I know utorrent doesn't host the torrents it is just another p2p client but still it has a hand in piracy, may be unknowingly.

I didn't say you are supporting them.
    I fail to understand what the hacker's "achieved". What did they gain by this? Their act was sadistic and cowardly.
    Yes, all their act is sadistic and cowardly no denying that but the consequence of this one will make some of the users move away from torrents, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You named just 2, i can name thousands stuffs which are illegal on torrents. Everybody know what people do with torrents or p2p stuffs so i don't i need to say anything more.

I know utorrent doesn't host the torrents it is just another p2p client but still it has a hand in piracy, may be unknowingly.
    Just google for free legal torrents, you will find tons of legit stuff.

It depends on the user, you can use a computer for good and bad, for eg: the hackers in context

Yes, all their act is sadistic and cowardly no denying that but the consequence of this one will make some of the users move away from torrents, hopefully.
    Maybe torrents will die someday, but not bcoz of hackers, but due to shutting down of torrent trackers

Well... utorrent as we all know is the most popular torrent client and thats the main reason which makes them a prime target by Cyber criminals.

And people who download pirated stuff often get infected with either scareware or some malware the reason being all pirated apps are not free from these malware. Infact pirated software, movies, music are the easiest way for these cyber criminals to infect systems. Also, Majority of the users who download pirated stuff are too ignorant of these technical issues and hence most of them get infected unless their Antivirus software is a good one and they dont add a exclusion when it shows that the pirated stuff they download is infected.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    "Sacreware" tools are used by hackers or cyber criminals to gain access to personal information including credit cards info, passwords of important services like web-mail, banking etc. and the loss cannot be recovered just by reformatting or restoring the system.

Even reformatting or restoring system is tough job for Majority of computer users.
    Yep, and whenever I mention "partition image" to the average user, their eyes flutter and get that dull glassy look.

Regardless of the reasons, in my opinion hacking is wrong. The main purpose of the hackers doing what the did was to attempt to screw up people's machines.

Both Ashwin and Arnab are right in their views. It is not that the Technology of Bittorrent is wrong. It is the intentions of the users that are wrong and we can't blame Bittorrent for that. What avi said is also right. Many people are ignorant, and most of them don't even know that they have to buy softwares (At least in India). Such is the affect of torrents on people, also I must blame the software companies (Most of them) for not creating awareness among people. Also, if we can look at the kind of hacking that took place 5 to 10 years ago, their motive is entirely different. They used to hack

1. just to show off that they are hackers
    2. To reveal bugs in softwares openly and tell the software developers to fix it, who otherwise won't even notice those bugs.

Both of the above reasons are not at all harmful. But, as time passed by the intentions changed. With lot of e-commerce and online shopping going on, many hackers are hacking to steal money. It's so sad to see people who are being ruled by Money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12