Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: utorrent.com security breached, hackers place malware instead of the installer

utorrent.com security breached, hackers place malware instead of the installer

This morning at approximately 4:20 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time (UTC -7), the uTorrent.com and BitTorrent.com Web servers were compromised. Our standard Windows software download was replaced with a type of fake antivirus “scareware” program.

Just after 6:00 a.m. Pacific time, we took the affected servers offline to neutralize the threat. Our servers are now back online and functioning normally.

Read more at their blog:

source:

Thnx for the heads up. U torrent is very popular and several pcs might have got infected. Anyway dont use torrents after i stopped usin cr*** software.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Well done hackers
    they uploaded Malware and innocent people would have downloaded it

A toast to hackers cheers. Antivirus companies pls kick them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    they uploaded Malware and innocent people would have downloaded it
    HDD format takes 1 hour, System restore takes 5 mins or restoring a system image takes 2 mins...... and those not so innocent people were actually taking away years of work of a film maker or a singer or software developer.

Quote Originally Posted by avibky View Post
    A toast to hackers cheers. Antivirus companies pls kick them out.
    HDD format takes 1 hour, System restore takes 5 mins or restoring a system image takes 2 mins...... and those not so innocent people were actually taking away years of work of a film maker or a singer or software developer.
    Firstly, not everyone are tech savvy to format/restore their system.

And not all torrents are cracks, you have plenty of legally free music, movies and software (Open Office, Ubuntu, etc).

Would you guys still applaud the hackers if your PC was infected with the malware?

"Sacreware" tools are used by hackers or cyber criminals to gain access to personal information including credit cards info, passwords of important services like web-mail, banking etc. and the loss cannot be recovered just by reformatting or restoring the system.

Even reformatting or restoring system is tough job for Majority of computer users.

@Ash
    I agree with you, many free stuffs are there on torrents, but is it legally allowed to share it via torrents??? And we all know 99% people install torrents not to download those free stuffs.

Don't get me wrong, i am not supporting the hackers, but there is a nice saying "as you sow so shall you reap" is proved here.

And yes i would certainly not feel good if my system is infected with a malware, but honestly i cannot complain also.

Another thing applauding ones' achievement doesn't mean i am laughing over others defeat. I fully sympathize with the infected users but that won't stop me giving +1 to the hacker(for this time atleast).

@Ash
    I agree with you, many free stuffs are there on torrents, but is it legally allowed to share it via torrents??? And we all know 99% people install torrents not to download those free stuffs.
    Just go to Open Office or Ubuntu's website. They have torrent links to download the softwares.
    There are some sites exclusively for legally free torrents.

Don't get me wrong, i am not supporting the hackers, but there is a nice saying "as you sow so shall you reap" is proved here.
    Utorrent.com doesn't host torrents, its just a software's homepage, which is still no reason for hacking them.

And yes i would certainly not feel good if my system is infected with a malware, but honestly i cannot complain also.

Another thing applauding ones' achievement doesn't mean i am laughing over others defeat. I fully sympathize with the infected users but that won't stop me giving +1 to the hacker(for this time atleast).
    I didn't say you are supporting them.
    I fail to understand what the hacker's "achieved". What did they gain by this? Their act was sadistic and cowardly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast