Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best free download managers

If I recall, the first downloader I had ever used a few years ago was Fresh Download. I have forgotten what it feels like. Besides, I was using 56K dial up modem at that time so I can't really say whether it was good or bad.

I think the closest to IDM from freeware category is Orbit Downloader. I was a huge fan of Orbit. But the new version of Orbit Downloader 4 was built with software updater, a feature I found "not so useful" because often inaccurate. Moreover, Mamutu has reported several suspicious activities from orbit and orbitnet. Not to mention its download source is placed on Brothersoft, which has reputation as "not so clean".

FireDownload?
    Just like ashwin wrote, it is buggy. The first time I used FireDownload was when it was still in version 2.0. Couldn't choose where to save your download to, couldn't pause downloading or you would get your Firefox crashes, and bad integrations to filehostar sites were FireDownload's common drawbacks. Its latest build after slow development phase is FireDownload 2.0.1 in which now users are provided with the option to define download location manually. But the rest of problems still.....
    However in the end, I select FireDownload as my main download manager because it downloads faster than IDM and Orbit. It can reach the number of 100-110 KB whilst IDM and Orbit only 90-100KB.

There is one more, Free Download Manager. But, I think it is kinda bloated with less useful features like FTP uploader and unhandy method to download flash video. Luckily, there is the Lite version in which user can have the essential feature only.

By the away, does anyone use GetRight?
    Basically, it is a paidware. However, you can use it as long as you want if you do not mind to be irritated by its subscription reminder. So, the proper term for GetRight is "nagware", the same that goes to WinRAR. Its speed? According to my experience, it is stably fast. It has torrent downloader, a feature that is not supported by IDM, but no online flash video downloader.

@Corker, Thanks for the informative post

I am using FDM for now. works gr8

Cant use Orbit, since it doesnt play well with Kaspersky

Currenty I am using FDM as well.. I tested it alongside IDM and I actually got faster DL"s with FDM than with IDM... when i just reinstalled FDM, i opted not to install the part to do torrents and what not.. doesn't really appear to be bloated on my system. but then again.. with 6gb ddr3 ram.. i am not hurting so much :P have not tried orbit out yet though either.. maybe give a shot one day

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Currenty I am using FDM as well.. I tested it alongside IDM and I actually got faster DL"s with FDM than with IDM... when i just reinstalled FDM, i opted not to install the part to do torrents and what not.. doesn't really appear to be bloated on my system. but then again.. with 6gb ddr3 ram.. i am not hurting so much :P have not tried orbit out yet though either.. maybe give a shot one day
    I agree, as a FREE product FDM rocks.....but as in paid, IDM rocks...

I'm also using FDM and its great. But the browser integration won't work with latest versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome. But thanks to Flashgot that makes it compatible with firefox. Speed with FDM was great and Orbit is becoming a bloatware, that made me shift to FDM. Nice to see you all using FDM too!

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I'm also using FDM and its great. But the browser integration won't work with latest versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome. But thanks to Flashgot that makes it compatible with firefox. Speed with FDM was great and Orbit is becoming a bloatware, that made me shift to FDM. Nice to see you all using FDM too!
    Thats weird. FDM works fine with Firefox 3.6.13

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Thats weird. FDM works fine with Firefox 3.6.13
    Latest in the sense, Beta. Works fine with stable versions of IE and FF.

Quote Originally Posted by avibky View Post
    love dap downoload manager
    Good for you

But I have never had luck with DAP. always get corrupted downloads

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Good for you

But I have never had luck with DAP. always get corrupted downloads
    how big the downloads were? Use FDM...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast