Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best free download managers

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    how big the downloads were? Use FDM...
    Size didn't matter. Many files were corrupted.

Using FDM for a long time

In freeware,Fresh Download and DAP are good.
    For shareware,IDM and DAP premium are quite neat.

To be honest, I disagree at all with all of you who are praising FDM. I think there is nothing special about it, if not to be said mediocre. I couldn't download a video from YouTube successfully with it and uTorrent is certainly a better free alternative to download P2P. With FDM I have them all selected by default, then if I happen to be in demand for just one file only, I have to set the rest to be not downloaded, one by one manually! Imagine if you have hundreds of total files in the torrent database, I am sure it will be ridiculously exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Good for you

But I have never had luck with DAP. always get corrupted downloads
    Same with me when using Conceiva Download Studio. It was the worst download manager I ever met. A real bloatware and extremely expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by corker View Post
    I couldn't download a video from YouTube successfully with it

Use FDM to download flash video from YouTube

For torrents always use utorrent...

Grr is right.. I am guessing you were just doing something wrong with it .. FDM has been by far the best DLM I have used and I even liked it over IDM (tested several times and FDM always produced a better dl rate for me..this might not be the same for others and admit that) And as Grr said.. never use FDM for torrents.. always use uTorrent or maybe even Vuze/Azure which ever of those 2 you prefer.. Firefox has been improving their DL speeds as well drastically it seems in their Beta versions.. recently have seen some good speeds with their current Beta10... still need to test it a bit more along with FDM to see if FF has caught up yet..

Zug

I know how to download YouTube flash video with FDM, thank you! But it still did not work out after repeating for 5 times. It might be my own bad luck, I don't know. Did anyone ever succeed downloading YouTube flash video with FDM?
    I am asking this because I saw their latest update on their homepage was on the New Year of 2009, while YouTube updated its platform last summer.

Nevertheless, I still think FDM consists of not-so-useful features. IMO, IDM becomes very popular because the developer (Tonec, Inc.) manages to focus in and fully develops the essential features of any download manager should have, which are downloading files from major web protocols and flash videos from any social video sharing sites.
    Last edited by corker; 12-02-11 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corker View Post
    I know how to download YouTube flash video with FDM, thank you! But it still did not work out after repeating for 5 times. It might be my own bad luck, I don't know. Did anyone ever succeed downloading YouTube flash video with FDM?
    I am asking this because I saw their latest update on their homepage was on the New Year of 2009, while YouTube updated its platform last summer.

Nevertheless, I still think FDM consists of not-so-useful features. IMO, IDM becomes very popular because the developer (Tonec, Inc.) manages to focus in and fully develops the essential features of any download manager should have, which are downloading files from major web protocols and flash videos from any social video sharing sites.
    Well, If you are unable to download youtube videos with FDM, it may be related to some AV or your Firewall setting which may be blocking it. I am using FDM for long including today and it downloads Videos on the fly without any issues.

Regarding IDM, yes its a great download manager but you need to spend ~25$ for using it and if you can spend that amount, you should use IDM.

If you want a free one, I think FDM does a great job. Regarding you being unlucky, there is nothing like LUCK I believe in when it comes to computing. Have a look at your AV or firewall settings and it may result in better luck with FDM for you.

I have also used FDM and it seems to be like a copy of Tonec Internet Download manager.Its name Free download manager also somewhat resembles with it.
    Apart from all this things it works nice and must be a best free alternative to IDM.
    I have also used DAP and Orbit downloader before switching to FDM .Orbit is also a very good free Download manager.

Hey Avinash sir,How about a Giveaway of IDM by you.

Quote Originally Posted by niroop View Post
    Hey Avinash sir,How about a Giveaway of IDM by you.
    Well, We have tried to get it for giveaway, but we couldn't get it.

PS:- Call me Avinash instead of Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Well, If you are unable to download youtube videos with FDM, it may be related to some AV or your Firewall setting which may be blocking it. I am using FDM for long including today and it downloads Videos on the fly without any issues.

Regarding IDM, yes its a great download manager but you need to spend ~25$ for using it and if you can spend that amount, you should use IDM.

If you want a free one, I think FDM does a great job. Regarding you being unlucky, there is nothing like LUCK I believe in when it comes to computing. Have a look at your AV or firewall settings and it may result in better luck with FDM for you.
    Well, I would call it to be unlucky if I required to download files immediately but the destination server happened to be down.

I don't know if there was something wrong with my AV or Firewall that related to FDM at the time but I managed to download the video with another downloader.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Well, We have tried to get it for giveaway, but we couldn't get it.

PS:- Call me Avinash instead of Sir.
    Ha..ha... I have tried that too but it is always fruitless. No respond from their support team at all. Aside from 30 licenses of IDM giveaway officially sponsored by Tonec at the end of 2009, I presume the bloggers who have hosted contests till now bought the licenses with their own money.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast