Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best free download managers

Best free download managers

There are many free download managers, Here is a list of my favs

1. Orbit downloader
    2. JDownloader (Java based, but supports rapidshare)
    3. Fresh download

Flash Got is an add-on for firefox that can turn into an inbuit downloader, very fast too.
    Another downloader for Firefox is Firedownload,although it is faulty sometimes.

Note: Firedownloader have some problems with Hotfile.com's downloads.
    I have tested it many times, eg:i downloaded some fonts, it was a 10 mb file, but the download continued beyond 20mb, after which i cancelled the download.

More of my fav add-ons for Firefox, Flock at
    Last edited by Ashwin; 02-05-10 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Removed Gigaget and FDM from list due to security concerns, also removed many inefficient download managers

Hearing Gigaget for the first time and hence never used it too. As you said, Its among your best picks that means I would need to test it to see how good it is.

Orbit downloader obviously is one of the good ones, but a bit buggy sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Hearing Gigaget for the first time and hence never used it too. As you said, Its among your best picks that means I would need to test it to see how good it is.

Orbit downloader obviously is one of the good ones, but a bit buggy sometimes.
    I agree. Orbit is a bit buggy, beta versions never work, they just crash.
    JDownloader can be slow at times,.
    JD uses java. But it is still very popular.
    Last edited by Ashwin; 15-04-10 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Removed download link for Gigaget

Thanx for the info Ashwin. I would like to write a post with same topic, if you don't mind.

I use IDM. Much better than all the above ones.
    But since FREE is a concern here, i agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by kavin View Post
    I use IDM. Much better than all the above ones.
    But since FREE is a concern here, i agree with you.
    Obviously IDM is much better but it costs ~$30. For most of us its too much for a download manager until you download loads of content daily from the web.

Obviously IDM is much better but it costs ~$30. For most of us its too much for a download manager until you download loads of content daily from the web.
    $30 is a big sum for me too, mate. I just got it from my friend who no longer use it.
    Unless, i won't bother to try it.

Thanx for the info Ashwin. I would like to write a post with same topic, if you don't mind.

By all means, if you want i can contribute and so can other members

Warning: Do not use Gigaget

Malwarebytes quick scan found my Gigaget's default folder contained a couple of infections.
    I wanted to see if i can contact Gigaget support for an explanation, to my horror the Gigaget website redirected to a chinese website.

If im not mistaken they have either shut down Giganology or it has been hacked.

Either way, do not use Gigaget. If you have it on your PC, use Revo uninstaller to remove it and to delete two registry items.

BTW Free Download Manager's website has security warnings on McAfee Site Advisor and PC Tools Browser Defender

Code:
    http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

PS: I have also reported this to TechsupportAlert.
    And they acknowledge that Gigaget redirects to some Chinese website and WOT shows FDM's website says it is safe.

Code:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-download-manager.htm
    Last edited by Ashwin; 15-04-10 at 07:23 PM.

I scanned with Malwarebytes after the uninstallation of Gigaget, and no infections.

Well i think it must be an infected BHO (Browser Helper Object). Anyway switching back to Orbit for now.
    Last edited by Ashwin; 15-04-10 at 07:21 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast