Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Give Your PC a Fall Tune-up - Discussion

@Jeremy may be you can reply to some of the comments at Techsupportalert. There seems to have some reservations about canned air.

I left a comment on the article too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Thanks corker for reading the article. As long as you use a little care, it isn't too difficult to do some physical cleaning, and if your fans and vents are dirty it can cause airflow problems and cause your PC to run to hot which can slow down your PC's performance, as well as shorten the life of your hardware. When your components get hot, they expand, when you shut down your PC, they cool back down and contract. Over time the expanding and contracting of your components can cause damage. Good airflow helps minimize the expansion of your hardware and prolongs component life. If you decide to try cleaning your PC, just make sure you disconnect all power to the machine i.e. disconnect the Power Supply Unit from power and use a soft dry cloth or dry cotton swab. If you have compressed air, that works great. Remember when cleaning your fans that you want to be careful not to directly spray them with air as this can cause damage to the fans if they spin too fast. Just use your finger or cotton swab to hold the fan in place during cleaning. As long as you minimize touching components and cords you'll be fine. You can do it corker!
    I have ever bought a cheap USB Vacuum Cleaner made in China. Of course, the purpose was to clean the spaces between the keyboard. But it is powerless. Its pressure is not strong enough to suck the dust up. I should have known from the beginning since I bought a gamepad made in China earlier and it was broken within a month or two. Too often playing soccer game was the cause.
    Last edited by corker; 04-10-11 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    @Jeremy may be you can reply to some of the comments at Techsupportalert. There seems to have some reservations about canned air.

I left a comment on the article too.
    Thank you Avi for the heads up. I actually read your post yesterday and have been thinking about how I could respond there without starting a debate. I know the person who posted the find of the week post was cautious about the canned air. Canned air is canned air. It shouldn't be cold. The can can get cold if the spray is sustained for a relatively long period of time, however it shouldn't take too much air to blow some dust out of the PC. A couple even sweeps from left to right should be fine. The majority of dust in a PC settles at the bottom of the case where there shouldn't be any components (In some cases, PSU's can be mounted on the bottom of the case, however it should be the side of the PSU not the front or the back). If anything comes out of the can that is extremely cold or freezing isn't canned air, it is something else. I can certainly understand some people being cautious because a PC can be an expensive piece of equipment. However I have used canned air to clean out my own PC's and my customer's PC's for years without incident, and I would never post something that would intentionally harm anyone's PC. I guess my best advice is if someone is worried about canned air then they shouldn't use it. So I am reluctant to post there because everyone has an opinion and I don't want to be stuck in the middle of a debate.

@Jeremy

I don't see why you should go and explain this at that website, if the person was worried about something published at Avinashtech (in this context, Canned Air), he should have come and posted a comment here expressing his concern or to clarify his doubt.

And the mods didn't direct the person here, they should have said "Please contact the author of the post to clarify your doubt", but they didn't.

And I am not suggesting that we should go to TSA and ask the members to come to our forum and discuss it. In fact it is better if we avoid such things, lest they term it as advertising. We did not ask for our post to be featured, did we?

Anyway, arguing with other blog's readers is not our business.

The only concern I found, was a comment expressing concern about our giveaway's and a TSA moderator backing him. They should have restrained from making such comments before researching about our blog/forum. Regular members of the forum and readers of Avi's blog will not worry about such trivial things.

We have had more giveaways than them or most blogs. Really, I don't like people questioning our integrity.

Its fine...
    I just left a comment there just to clear few things up and the Mod there agrees with the point of Giveaways.

I still consider that people discussing our article at some other place as good. The reason being it makes us more reliable. Also, as in every discussion, some comments may be silly but most of them will be good for us in terms of what we have written.

And yes, its not necessary that we go to some other discussion at other blog to clarify things unless its necessary. I did that as one of the comments required that.

Cleaned up my Computer after a very long time.

Don't have compressed air cans, so I had to use the vacuum cleaner's blow mode, small nozzle(It's a small vaccum cleaner, and blow mode is not powerful to cause any damage).

CPU seems quieter, can't hear the fan's noise, but its running fine.

Observed the temperature using Aida and Core temp. Seems fine, lower than when it was dirty

Used a white eraser to clean the RAM. (Some say it is not safe though, try at your own risk and don't scrub iit too fast. Be gentle)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12