Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandboxie alterntives like BufferZone Pro..etc

Sandboxie alterntives like BufferZone Pro..etc

Hi, My SBIE license will be expiring soon and still no funds to spare here..drats. I saw this BufferZonePro and I just wanted to some ideas from you guys about it. If anybody here uses it or have experienced using it. My choice was to be GesWall free but the development seems to have fallen out. Have not heard of some good insights from the developers lately. The last time I visited the forum there, there was this guy who called himself "admin" or something like that bullying new users making the forum jerky. Any news about GesWall? Is GesWall dead? PrevxSafeonline facebook edition seems good but does not have support fopr the latest FF8 and have seem to be lagging behind the new WSA of Webroot. Still no freeone in sight at Webroot... Really looking for a freeware alternative but seem to have nothing in sight. The SBIE free is limited to only 1 sandbox. "Comodo sandbox" sandboxes also the plugin for pdf printing so I can't print in the sandboxed-browser. Any ideas guys..? Thank you

Good question. I recall looking into BufferZone Pro some time ago during a promo.

Ah.. found the link I had bookmarked to a thread at WildersSecurity forums:

The 2nd post says it's a good product, read through and see. (there's about 70 posts in the thread.) ==> that's the good and bad news about Wilders forums. Lots of extremely knowledgeable people hang out there so there's often a FLOOD of information to read through.

But if you want really in-depth info, that's the place to go. Also, I remember seeing a lot of posts about GesWall there. They would know the score on its development or lack thereof.

Yeah, sad news about Webroot acquiring Prevx: they still haven't even provided an upgrade path for Prevx 3 license holders.

Thanks Jelson.

Honestly I have never tried any sandbox kind of application for more than few minutes, so I am unable to give an opinion on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Thanks Jelson.

Honestly I have never tried any sandbox kind of application for more than few minutes, so I am unable to give an opinion on this.
    Same here. Sujay is the best in security stuff.

@Damien If BufferZone doesn't work as you expected, you could try Returnil, but its a bit heavy on resources and is more of a Virtual system than a Sandbox.

I would recommend using Buffer Zone Pro. IT is now a freeware so no worries. As i said i personally use this and is very good. IF wanted u can also set your usb and cd drives to sandboxed runs so the malware runs in the sandbox. So just try it you will like it. I prefer it to Sandboxie. It also auto sandboxes certain suspicious programs automatically. IT also sandboxes any Internet based application automatically. So just give it a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by avibky View Post
    I would recommend using Buffer Zone Pro. IT is now a freeware so no worries. As i said i personally use this and is very good. IF wanted u can also set your usb and cd drives to sandboxed runs so the malware runs in the sandbox. So just try it you will like it. I prefer it to Sandboxie. It also auto sandboxes certain suspicious programs automatically. IT also sandboxes any Internet based application automatically. So just give it a spin.
    I really appreciate your input on this. Very intrigued about its abiliy to sandbox USB flash drives. Very handy!!

I'm wondering if if will work with BufferZonePro. Mainly because I mainly use Sandboxie to try out apps and to suss out what registry changes an app makes when it installs. BSA is the only app I know that makes it fairly easy to see registry changes.

I dont think it works with bufferzone. But bufferzone's way automatically sandboxing any app including a word file to autorun.inf, thus keeping the computer safe. It also automatically sandboxes a svchost process for privacy. So give it a shot u will like it.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Use anibus or submit a file to your av vendor when i doubt.

Hi guys, Thanks for the relies here.

The links are good and am still checking it out. Have installed BZPro alongside Avira free and it seems okay. I seem to like it though I see somewhat slow browsing. Yeah I saw how it virtualizes svchost.exe and the usb thing. Quite nice.

When I installed Comodo ver5.8 free I got into BSOD and then after a while boot-up seems to take forever. When run without Comodo or OA free it seems to function okay.

I see that it has it's own firewall..that might be the case or something else...Anyone know how to do a custom install of BZ without the firewall? I want to use it alongside a full-blown firewall like Comodo or OA free.

How about Trusteer Rapport? I hear some good news about it but don't know if I can use like a sandbox...

and oh this is on a Win7 x32 pc.

@Ashwin,

Hi, tried Returnil last year on this same pc and yeah it made this pc crawl(old pc this is). But I did have a good feel of it.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by damien; 24-11-11 at 01:23 AM.

A question.

What happens after Sandboxie license expires:

A: no further updates
    B: reverts to free version

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    A question.

What happens after Sandboxie license expires:

A: no further updates
    B: reverts to free version
    I think the 1 year license would revert to a free version, but you can still update it. Not sure though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast