Thread: IE In-Private browsing question

Question IE In-Private browsing question

Is there a way to directly open IE in In-Private mode?

Now I have to open IE & then go to Tools>In-Private browsing..

Thanks,
    Grr

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    Is there a way to directly open IE in In-Private mode? Now I have to open IE & then go to Tools>In-Private browsing.. Thanks, Grr
    1. Create a shortcut to IE

2. Right click on it and select Properties

3. Add -private at the end of the target box and click Ok

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -private

Source:
    Last edited by Ashwin; 03-12-11 at 01:38 PM.

Hi Grr,

Here is a simple way that you can directly open IE in Private browsing mode.

You can create a special Private Browsing shortcut that you can place on your desktop so when you click on the Internet Explorer shortcut icon, it will start your session with In-Private browsing.
    To do this, follow these steps:
    1) Right-click on the Desktop, click New, Shortcut
    2) In the box type "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore" -private Alternatively you can type "C\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -private
    3) Name the shortcut Internet Explorer (Private) or whatever you want to and click Finish. Hope that helps

Sources:

Update: Looks like Ashwin beat me to the punch on the reply, we must have been posting at the same time. Sorry about that Ashwin.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 03-12-11 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Updated that Ashwin posted solution first

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Update: Looks like Ashwin beat me to the punch on the reply, we must have been posting at the same time. Sorry about that Ashwin.
    No problem Jeremy

But my post's format got messed up and it all ended in the same line. Weird.

Fixed it now

Thanks Ash & Jeremy.

I see 2 IEs, 1 IE, 2 IE-64

I'm not sure what opens by default.

So any changes to ur suggestions above?

btw- OS is 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    Thanks Ash & Jeremy.

I see 2 IEs, 1 IE, 2 IE-64

I'm not sure what opens by default.

So any changes to ur suggestions above?

btw- OS is 64-bit
    Even on 64 bit OS( Windows I presume), the default IE that opens is IE 32 bit.

When I use this string "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore" -private to create the shortcut it opens IE-64-bit.

I believe if you use the other one (x86) it will be the 32-bit version. When you click on the shortcut you make with this method you can check which version of IE it opens by going to Tools->About Internet Explorer

Update:

Yes I just tested it. If you use the string
    "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore" -private to create the shortcut it opens IE-64-bit.

If you use the string
    "C\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -private to create the shortcut it is the 32-bit version. You can verify by opening the shortcut and in IE click on Tools->About Internet Explorer.

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-12-11 at 01:31 AM.

yes, the default is 32-bit.

now 2 questions:

1. why does it still opens a 32-bit on a 64-bit OS?
    2. what should i use, 32 or 64-bit?

Thanks, Grr

IE 32-bit is more compatible with more websites and the 32- bit version can use flash (although there is a beta version of Adobe flash 64-bit). There are other factors such as add-ons and extensions that only work for 32-bit or 64-bit respectively. Some technologies are yet to work with the 64-bit version of IE. Microsoft recommends using the 32-bit version.

You can read more about the differences between the two from Microsoft here: