Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Downloadcrew Giveaways

O&O DiskImage 5.6 Professional (24 hour giveaway)
    Powerful disk management, backup and restore tool

Read about the software ---->

Starts on 30 Dec 2011at 18:59

Giveaway Page ---->
    Last edited by Mike; 31-12-11 at 05:50 AM.

Backup programs that create entire disk images are always nice. For me though, I use Windows 7's built in Disk image backup. If windows fails to start, you can use your Windows install disc (or create a rescue disc and use that) to restore your computer to exactly how it was before the failure occurred. The problem with 3rd party backup software is that if Windows fails to start, there is no way to access the third-party backup software to get your image. The only way I can see around this is to have your third-party backup software save images to a separate hard-drive (a back-up drive that does not have your OS installed on it), then re-install windows and the third-party backup program, then finally use the third-party program to restore your computer to the way it was before the failure.

If you use Windows 7 I would recommend sticking with the Windows built-in disk image backup software.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I also noticed Download Crew has Auslogics Internet Optimizer 2.0 free as well. I am not sure if it has always been freeware, but it may be something some of our members and guests may be interested in.

Link:

Thanks guys for keeping up with these giveaways.

O&O DiskImage 5.6 Warning: The first 32bit zip file contained the exe to create the 64bit WinPE CD.
    Now the problem has been resolved and the offer has been extended for today.
    Last edited by KenFalco; 01-01-12 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KenFalco View Post
    O&O DiskImage 5.6 Warning: The first 32bit zip file contained the exe to create the 64bit WinPE CD.
    Now the problem has been resolved and the offer has been extended for today.

is the download not available from Developer's site?

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    is the download not available from Developer's site?
    Login to your DownloadCrew account and click on My Downloads, you will see the list of serial numbers and download links available.

It will only display the apps which you managed to grab, so you can't get the ones you missed.

Hi Grr! This giveaway is directly from DownloadCrew, so you have to do as he says Ash.
    For the downloads from O&O website I think it's the demo version as the file sizes are very small (19MB for 32bit and 64bit for 20MB), and WinPE based CD is not available.

Thanks Ash, Ken.
    I hope the download link in "My Downloads" stays active all the time.

Next Promo
    MAGIX Music Maker 17 Silver
    Powerful audio studio worth $19.95
    MSRP: $19.95
    Promo: FREE
    Saving 100%

Starts on 2 Jan 2012 at 17:59

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    The only way I can see around this is to have your third-party backup software save images to a separate hard-drive (a back-up drive that does not have your OS installed on it), then re-install windows and the third-party backup program, then finally use the third-party program to restore your computer to the way it was before the failure.
    Jeremy, you make a highly astute point. I've seen some backup programs that don't offer a way to do a "bare-metal restore" and wondered What Are They Thinking?

Now, if it's just a file & folder backup program that makes it dead simple to backup your precious data... that's one thing. And I strongly encourage people to get something that will do that at the very least. If disaster strikes, they haven't lost the stuff that truly irreplaceable. I've seen the looks of horror on people's faces when hard drive failure or Windows will no longer boot happens. It isn't pretty.

As for myself, I separate my user data from the system drive and I use a full-blown imaging program: Acronis TrueImage. And I only do "cold images": I simply don't trust images made when Windows is running. (One day I'll bite the bullet and pay the $90 to get ShadowProtect: it's Enterprise level app that creates reliable "hot images.") And, of course, the images are saved to a large data drive and then copied to an external drive for further insurance in case of hardware failure, malware attack or OS snafu.

However, most people's eyes glaze over when you start talking about "partitions" & "imaging."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast