Backup programs that create entire disk images are always nice. For me though, I use Windows 7's built in Disk image backup. If windows fails to start, you can use your Windows install disc (or create a rescue disc and use that) to restore your computer to exactly how it was before the failure occurred. The problem with 3rd party backup software is that if Windows fails to start, there is no way to access the third-party backup software to get your image. The only way I can see around this is to have your third-party backup software save images to a separate hard-drive (a back-up drive that does not have your OS installed on it), then re-install windows and the third-party backup program, then finally use the third-party program to restore your computer to the way it was before the failure.

If you use Windows 7 I would recommend sticking with the Windows built-in disk image backup software.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I also noticed Download Crew has Auslogics Internet Optimizer 2.0 free as well. I am not sure if it has always been freeware, but it may be something some of our members and guests may be interested in.

Link: