Thread: Thunderbird and Avira Mailguard help needed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thunderbird and Avira Mailguard help needed

Hi,

I usually use web-based email and not email client apps at home. But for a week or so I am getting some problems with SSL errors in FF when trying to access Gmail so I downloaded Thunderbird 9 and installed it. Now I am a new user of Thunderbird as we use Outlook at the office. But I came to set it up okay.

Now the thing is I am using Avira Premium Security Suite v10 (no firewall) now with Comodo CIS with D+(no AV) version 5.9. In the office I see the footer protected by "Symantec Endpoint Protection Business Edition" at the lower end of the email.

In my set-up there is none although I have selected "Attach MailGuard footer" in The Avira MailGuard config settings. I see also that the default POP3 port in Avira is 110 , IMAP 143 (SMTP 25)so I added 443 and 995 (on POP3 and IMAP)as I see in that Thunderbird uses them via Comodo Firewall>Active Connections.

I also do not see any activity in the Avira gui>Online Protection>Mailguard. All values are "zero" even when "Display Statistics" is checked. Even when I have successfully sent/received emails from Gmail and Hotmail.

Can someone help me here please....I think I may have configuring issues I need to iron with both Avira and Thunderbird. Can someone check it here please as I am really new in setting-up a home email client like Thunderbird.

On the ports mentioned, is that right there?

Or will I leave it at the default and not add 443 and 995?

Is it right that Thunderbird uses those ports?

Or can I assign them a port in Comodo and then add it in Avira Mailguard?

Really appreciate if someone whose using Thunderbird (or CIS with Thunderbird or Thunderbird with Avira/Avast) share some ideas about my predicament....

Anyone using Thunderbird with Avast? or KAV / NOD32 for that matter..?

Help
    Last edited by damien; 06-01-12 at 01:32 AM.