Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sandboxie: Install, run programs in a virtual sandbox environment [Review+ Giveaway]

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    do they still offer lifetime license? I would better buy it then
    You can buy it for $38

Hello, I am new here When will be the draw..?

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorRaul View Post
    Hello, I am new here When will be the draw..?
    Winners announced few minutes back. Check the forum thread.

Whats the difference between lifetime license and 1 year license? I know in 1 year licenses we won't get updates/upgrades after 1 year but can we use it after 1 year?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Whats the difference between lifetime license and 1 year license? I know in 1 year licenses we won't get updates/upgrades after 1 year but can we use it after 1 year?
    Check the discussion between Corker & Damien from posts 14 to 18 @ this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Check the discussion between Corker & Damien from posts 14 to 18 @ this thread
    Thanks, but nothing clear comes out from that discussion. I think i should ask their support.

Thanks, but nothing clear comes out from that discussion. I think i should ask their support.
    No matter what Damien tried, even after downgrading, he couldn't use multiple Sandboxes, which is what the Pro version does.
    So, we can't use the Pro version after a year.

And that's the reason why I never accepted any keys for Sandboxie

@Alpha,

When the license for a year expired I tried to use it still but the "license check" will not let you use Sandboxie anymore. It will haunt you towards you letting it check the license and until it has checked it Sandboxie was greyed-out. It will not let you use Sandboxie properly until you let it check your license if expired or not. Tried to block the license check through the firewall result was a grteyed-out non-usable Sandboxie(not even free version but unusable)

Tried to install-over a downgraded version number but the license check was still at it. It seems to be embedded in the system.

Tried to use a system image when Sandboxie was still "within" the license period but in just two days(I think) it was asking for a license check again.

Uninstall and re-install would not do also. The program seems to not be functioning right until you let it check the license. Once it sees that it's already expired you can't use multiple sandboxes thought he former configuration stays(config with multiple sandboxes). It will alert you that your license is expired and you can only use 1 sandbox at a time.

So I ended up doing a clean install of the newer version and just used the free version. As Bufferzone was a problem in the setup I was trying to work, I ended up using Sandboxie free for my default browser Firefox, Prevx Safeonline-facebook edition for Chrome/Opera (Avira/Comodo tandem) while the other one had Online Armor Premium Safe Run for Chrome/Opera, Sandboxie free for my default browser Firefox(Avast free/Online Armor Premium).

One way or another once expired it will be greyed-out or nag you for a license check. The config when you were using the multiple sandboxes while the license you had was okay stays but usage will be downgraded to the equivalent of the free version. So why hang on to the previous config and set-up might as well uninstall and do a clean install...The free version cannot force programs/folders for starters.

Downgrading to a later version is not an option as when you use it in the web it will know and will ask you for a license check. Non-compliance to that license check will grey you out forcing you soon to use the free version via a clean install. Well that was on my experience only.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    I do not see anything there saying there are "winners announced".....

I maybe wrong though...

Anyone?

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    I do not see anything there saying there are "winners announced".....

I maybe wrong though...Can't see my comment there also...
    Last edited by damien; 27-01-12 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks Damien for the extensive explanation. So sandboxie licensing is one of a kind. The apps which i have used or which i know doesn't use this type of licensing scheme. In all cases you can use the pro features even after 1 year but you cannot update/upgrade.
    I would certainly like to know any other programs that uses this type of licensing scheme.

All the winners are announced in this thread Damien -->

Sandboxie winners --> THIS post

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

@Alpha Personally, I'm a fan of lifetime licenses, but I do understand why some companies have moved toward 1 yr licenses.

I accept the "renewal" type of licenses for security security suites, makes perfect sense and I feel it's fair.

Then there's the "version" type of license, where all updates within a version are free, but there's a reduced fee for upgrades to the next version... Fair enough and if there's enough changes / improvement to justify it... I'll pay for the upgrade or just live with the older version or switch to a competitor who's done a better job.

SandboxIE is a bit different. I remember when I got my license over 2 yrs ago: there was only lifetime licenses. Then awhile later, the 1 yr license was added. To my mind, it makes perfect sense for the developer to have done this considering he does offer a limited free license. And I definitely want him to have enough revenue to continue his development of the program.

That said, I don't enter any giveaways for 1 yr licenses. I already have mine and it's good for all the computers that I own. (Definitely applaud this.) The reason I don't enter are: 1) let someone else get the chance to score a license and 2) I'd end up giving any license I won to a friend... I find it better to introduce them to Sandboxie using the free license and if they use it then I suggest they buy a lifetime license.

The 1 yr license is an inducement to check out the advanced features very inexpensively. If you like it... and most will... then it makes sense to spend the $ for a lifetime one after the 1 yr expires.

Just my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast