Thread: Sandboxie: Install, run programs in a virtual sandbox environment [Review+ Giveaway]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    the licensing scheme used by Sandboxie is not good at all.

They are using a very unusual model, not feasible in real world, at least for such an application.

Guess what happens after 1 year of PRO.

Someone just realized that his/her installation is reverted back to free. Frustrated he/she writes to support, and come across more disappointment that the earlier paid money went to trash. Next what - pay more, go free (not quite possible caz one is addicted now), try free alternates (hmm---so why I paid for the pro---not good), try another way to keep using PRO.......may be, or YES (and I hear developer complaining)

Grr

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    the licensing scheme used by Sandboxie is not good at all.

They are using a very unusual model, not feasible in real world, at least for such an application.

Guess what happens after 1 year of PRO.

Someone just realized that his/her installation is reverted back to free. Frustrated he/she writes to support, and come across more disappointment that the earlier paid money went to trash. Next what - pay more, go free (not quite possible caz one is addicted now), try free alternates (hmm---so why I paid for the pro---not good), try another way to keep using PRO.......may be, or YES (and I hear developer complaining)

Grr
    Looking at the price difference between the 1 year and lifetime licenses, I agree with you when you say "the earlier paid money went to trash". If they paid for a year's license, they should be allowed to use the pro version without upgrades. Otherwise, I don't think it is worth the money and it is the reason people opt to rather grab it via giveaways.

FYI, the price for a one year license for Sandboxie, i.e, 13 Euros, when converted to INR, is a little more than the price of a 1 year license for Kaspersky Internet Security (3 user). It is expensive for just a one year license when compared to the 29 Euro price tag for the lifetime license, which will make the buyer think, "Well I better buy the lifetime one than pay every year". Like Arnab said, it is a good marketing tactic, but not for the buyer.

IDM also have a similar licensing model. Unlike Sandboxie, they don't have a free/lifetime version. Rather just a one year license, which doesn't allow you to use the software after the license expires. Not 100% sure about this.