Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linkman:complete bookmark manager [Review + Giveaway] - Discussion

Smile Linkman:complete bookmark manager [Review + Giveaway] - Discussion

If you are one of those users who browse the web too much and hence had to keep track of loads of webpages in one form or another by using some form of Bookmarks, Linkman is a great tool for you. Linkman is basically short form of Link Manager which can manage loads of bookmarks, URLs etc by integrating itself [...]

Good review, Avi! I'm sure the winners will be very happy with Linkman. I know I am.

Good review Avi.....

another very nice gift, and thank you for this review

Liked the review's startup about this not being aimed at novices. I like the : USB install, across browsers, password, database depth saves .... etc. Thanks for this chance

I feel dizzy just looking at the software Xmarks is enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    I feel dizzy just looking at the software Xmarks is enough for me

lol..Avi had warned Advanced users only...

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    lol..Avi had warned Advanced users only...
    That rules me out

I found Linkman intimidating at first.

But it's actually rather simple to use once you get past the 1st impression.

1. Main thing is to import your bookmarks. (It'll alert you if it finds duplicates)

2. Then do any editing or rearrangement of them into categories and subcategories (IMHO, easier than it is in Firefox, IE or Chrome)

3. Finally start creating new bookmarks

Personally, I like how the 5 buttons show up at the bottom right corner of the FF pane.

Main one I use is the middle one (Add&Edit) that looks like a sheet of paper with lines of writing.

That pops up a window with info on the bookmark for the page you're viewing when you click it.

There's a checkboxes for automatically retrieving keywords and description

Then you can
    • (add / edit) the keywords and/or description,
    • add a comment,
    • rate the bookmark (1 - 5), and
    • select the category / subcategory you want to file in under (F3 is the shortcut),
    • Click OK to save.

Then it's very easy to click the magnifying icon for Search and enter keywords to find that page you want to revisit.

Personally, I love it. Long, long ago I had more bookmarks than FF could handle without choking or making it difficult for me to find a bookmark I misfiled.

And there's always the functions accessible via the systray icon. But that's another story.

First thing is get your bookmarks imported and organized and getting comfortable with creating new ones.

The rest can wait.

NOTE WELL: the database is a single file that you can easily make backup copies of. Linkman by default keeps 2 backups of the database. By default it autosaves everytime you add a new bookmark (can change that via Settings to x minutes instead). I periodically make a copy and rename it by adding the date so I have a series of backups.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by jelson; 23-01-12 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks for the Tutorial, Jelson

You explained it better than their help pages :Thumb:

Portable version is a pro feature , anyway I installed the free version and checked my Firefox bookmarks for duplicates, just found one or two.
    I had already sorted my links into sub-categories using Firefox's built-in bookmark manager. Features like rating a website, commenting about it are available in Xmarks as well, but the search function in Linkman is great. Not much to play with at the moment, I'll need to look into the other features

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast