Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IDM (Internet Download Manager) vs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Try DAM (Download Accelerator Manager)

DAM is to IDM, as Haozip is to WinRAR

This DAM looks interesting, first time I read something about it.

About alternatives to IDM: I tried FDM and got good speeds but it froze some times, maybe it was my PC's fault or maybe it was FDM's fault I prefer DownThemAll: good speeds and hasn't failed me yet.

Thank all of you guys for the great feedback!!

BTW, I looked around the IDM website and it seems the license is lifetime (Support | licensing) but Purchase pate says you get all updates for free for 1 year. (Support | licenseing says you get all minor updates until next version #)

So... we'll see what happens in 4 days. Perhaps the license I have behaves differently since it was a promo license. I'll report back what I learn. Thanks again everyone!!!

Update: I also took a look at Gizmo's Freeware Reviews for Download Managers

Unsurprisingly, he had very good things to say about Free Download Manager and Orbit Downloader

I think I'm gonna try FDM 1st (mainly because it says you can opt for a portable version and I do love portables).

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post

BTW, I looked around the IDM website and it seems the license is lifetime (Support | licensing) but Purchase pate says you get all updates for free for 1 year. (Support | licenseing says you get all minor updates until next version #)

So... we'll see what happens in 4 days. Perhaps the license I have behaves differently since it was a promo license. I'll report back what I learn. Thanks again everyone!!!
    If you've bought IDM, then it'll work for lifetime, but you won't be eligible for free updates/upgrades after 1 year. Without updates and upgrades you can continue to use it. On contrary, if it's a license which you won at a giveaway, then you can neither be entitled for free updates/upgrades nor you can use it after 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    If you've bought IDM, then it'll work for lifetime, but you won't be eligible for free updates/upgrades after 1 year. Without updates and upgrades you can continue to use it. On contrary, if it's a license which you won at a giveaway, then you can neither be entitled for free updates/upgrades nor you can use it after 1 year.
    This is a new thing for me. Are you sure sam??

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think Sam is right But would love if someone contradict this fact

Thanks avi I never knew that. Maybe it's because i have never used IDM for a complete year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yes Arn. When I asked Tonec during giveaway at TIS, they told me that. Here are few quotes from recent giveaways :

1. You can get an original license key from IDM which has one year validity -

2. the license expires in one year and is eligible for Free upgrade to all new versions of IDM during one year -

3. We have ten lifetime licenses for Internet Download Manager to give away. -

Now, the 1st quote may also mean 1 year validity for free updates, anyway leave it, as it is not clear (infact many bloggers won't talk more about the details of license key). Now, in the 2nd quote you see, that Mayur is telling that the license itself is going to expire. Now, let us come to Ghacks quote. It's not directly agreeing to my statement, but it'll in contrapositive way. Here, Ghacks talks about lifetime licenses, infact you won't find anything like LIFETIME license at the official IDM page. So, Martin should be talking about the usual license keys that are valid for lifetime but are entitled for 1 year free upgrades/updates... (Also, see this )

At these days, it is still quite difficult to find download managers which support Google Chrome natively. In addition, most of download managers are not incorporated with automatic download interceptor like IDM. I can mention few which does, they are Free Download Manager (FDM), Internet Download Accelerator (IDA) and GetGo Download Manager. I have never liked FDM. To me, it is bloated and somehow I never succeeded in capturing any YouTube videos with it. IDA is also bloated by ads. GetGo by far is the closest to IDM as to features. In fact, its one-click flash video grabber is better than IDM. Simply placing the normal URL of the video, and GetGo shall "sniff" the content for us. But to my dismay, it installs toolbar and does not support Chrome (May be because Chrome does not allow any third-party toolbars).

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Try DAM (Download Accelerator Manager)

DAM is to IDM, as Haozip is to WinRAR

Nah, tried that.
    Albeit the interface is IDM-alike, but it lacks several features IDM has. Unless you are a paid user, you will not be provided with sufficient acceleration. Limited to only 4 segmentation, if I am not mistaken. No zip preview nor Scheduler (?) either. Neither does one-click YouTube download. The absent of one-click flash content is offset by the Media Grabber which I think is less practical. This Media Grabber has to be opened prior to download.

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post

In the mean time, try to keep the latest IDM 6.09 build 2 setup then.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    If that is proven the case, then I am afraid almost everyone of us here who have IDM will have to bid farewell to the program after the license expires because I am sure the majority of us got IDM from giveaways.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    I think Sam is right But would love if someone contradict this fact
    jelson can be our guinea pig. If he succeed to continue using IDM after, let's say, a week onwards after the expiry date then the case will be proven otherwise. You wouldn't mind, would you, jelson?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast