Thread: IDM (Internet Download Manager) vs ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    UPDATE

Well the other shoe dropped today. Upon launching Firefox was greeted with the message that my IDM has expired.

Interesting data:
    • Feb 26, 2012 --> expired
    • Feb 19, 2012 --> msg that was expiring in 5 days
    • Mar15, 2011 --> first installed (as evidenced by creation date of IDM folder in Program Files dir)
    • Mar 03, 2011 --> received license key from AvinashTech

So, the license must have started on Feb 26, 2011. Likely the day the license keys were created by Tonec.

So, looks like I'll be trying out some of the alternatives but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up paying for a IDM license for my new machine.

Imagine I'll end up using an alternative for my soon to be "old" (XP) machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post
    UPDATE

Well the other shoe dropped today. Upon launching Firefox was greeted with the message that my IDM has expired.

Interesting data:
    • Feb 26, 2012 --> expired
    • Feb 19, 2012 --> msg that was expiring in 5 days
    • Mar15, 2011 --> first installed (as evidenced by creation date of IDM folder in Program Files dir)
    • Mar 03, 2011 --> received license key from AvinashTech

So, the license must have started on Feb 26, 2011. Likely the day the license keys were created by Tonec.

So, looks like I'll be trying out some of the alternatives but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up paying for a IDM license for my new machine.

Imagine I'll end up using an alternative for my soon to be "old" (XP) machine.
    You could try what Grr said

Edit: Deleted info about using IDM beyond trial. Sorry guys
    Last edited by Ashwin; 27-02-12 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    You could try what Grr said

Ash's Edit:Removed the comment partially.
    It's likely they write something to the registry in a Classes | CLSID entry that says you first installed a trial version so that you can't find it and delete unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

I suspect that's why Grr suggested Sandboxie.
    Last edited by Ashwin; 27-02-12 at 10:24 PM. Reason: sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post
    It's likely they write something to the registry in a Classes | CLSID entry that says you first installed a trial version so that you can't find it and delete unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

I suspect that's why Grr suggested Sandboxie.
    Indeed. I found some registry files with Regseeker.