Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDM (Internet Download Manager) vs ?

Question IDM (Internet Download Manager) vs ?

Just received the sad news that my license for Internet Download Manager (IDM) is expiring in 5 days

Of course, after this year I find myself wondering how I lived without it.

However, I dutifully clicked the "Buy Online" button in the Registration menu only to find there's no renewal price, but the normal price for a license.

I had already been wondering how IDM's competitor's compared and there being no renewal price break really made me wonder.

I recalled there was Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) offering as part of ABC3 (I entered in hopes of winning since I knew IDM was going to expire soon... but no luck... oh well!)

So I checked to see what the winners had to say in the Giveaway Reviews subforum... only to find there are none yet!

But what can I say? I haven't finished installing my new machine yet and so I haven't posted feedback reviews on the couple of wins I scored either... yet!

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if any one has extensively tried IDM as well as any of it's competitors like DAP?

If so just how well do they compare with IDM?

I mainly use the increase DL speed and the video download functions in IDM, on some rare ocassions I also use the SiteGrab function.

Any feedback and sharing of experience will be greatly appreciated since I have only 5 days to pony up some $ or go back to slow-ville.

I'm not sure if IDM will revert back to trial after 1 year?

they r offering a reduced price of $24.95 now. Check their webpage

If u have revo, try cleaning IDM installation and use the trial for 30days, and thereafter repeat the process

If u have sandboxie, install IDM in it & keep using it.

The only alternate I have used is FDM. though never happen to compare the two.

Well, DAP Free one is good if you can live with too many obtrusive Ads. Unfortunately I cant.

As Grr said, FDM is a good alternative, but you shouldn't expect it to be as good as IDM. Out of every alternative of IDM tested by me, FDM is the best choice.

For features like site grabbing, you can use better tools like WinHTTrack which does the job. Similarly for videos, you can use plugins available for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Well, DAP Free one is good if you can live with too many obtrusive Ads. Unfortunately I cant.

As Grr said, FDM is a good alternative, but you shouldn't expect it to be as good as IDM. Out of every alternative of IDM tested by me, FDM is the best choice.

For features like site grabbing, you can use better tools like WinHTTrack which does the job. Similarly for videos, you can use plugins available for free.
    I agree on what u have said.

For videos I suggest , as I'm not a plug-in person.

Ok i would suggest orbit downloader. But remember to use the /NOCANDY switch while installing.
    For eg: You have saved orbit.exe on your desktop, do the following

Open command prompt. Go to start menu- type cmd in search and press enter

Now in cmd type cd desktop

after that type orbit.exe/NOCANDY

Note: Replace orbit.exe with the file name of the installer like xyz.exe

Then the open candy ad showing process wont be launched.

Jelson,

is a giveaway going on thru Friday for 15 licenses to enter and you just might win. Good Luck

Finding a perfect alternative to IDM is very difficult. Only, two download managers come to my mind, when I think of IDM alternatives. They are :

1. DAP

Pros : a) Supports majority web browsers.
    Cons : a) Ads.
    b) DAP may corrupt downloads. This issue is well known in previous versions, but the latest version which I tested for ABC3 review didn't lead to corrupt downloads.

2. FDM.

Pros : a) No Ads.
    b) It is fast, steady and reliable.
    c) Comes with In-built site grabber.

Cons :
    a) Doesn't support many browsers. If you want to integrate it with Firefox, then you must use Flashgot addon.

You can also try the download managers recommended by other members. Please let me know when you find the best alternative
    Last edited by Samuel; 20-02-12 at 10:13 PM.

Sam until i know FDM is able to capture all downloads from opera and firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by avibky View Post
    Sam until i know FDM is able to capture all downloads from opera and firefox.
    Thanks for the info Bala. When I used (I think its v3.5 or 3.6) it didn't supported Firefox. Looks like they are now releasing updates frequently.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast