Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IDM (Internet Download Manager) vs ?

Quote Originally Posted by corker View Post
    jelson can be our guinea pig. If he succeed to continue using IDM after, let's say, a week onwards after the expiry date then the case will be proven otherwise. You wouldn't mind, would you, jelson?
    Yeah!!! I get to be the guinea pig!

Hey, wait a minute

BTW, just downloaded the latest build (6.09.2.1) from their website.

I think Sameul is right. It makes good biz sense to giveaway a 1 yr license. If the product is really good, then you'll likely to plunk your $ down. And if the paid license is lifetime with all minor updates, that's cool. Especially since they're at 6.09 Wonder how long it will be before they have a major update to 7.x?

If the paid licenses were 1 yr only, then I'd have a problem with that.
    Anyway... will report back soon. Clock is ticking!

For free i still say go with Orbit you wont go wrong. Yes FDM has been become bloated but I always download the core installer and if i need any extra feature i add it using the plugins.

If for paid my best bet is always DAP. I used to use it long ago, got a license from dunno whom :dunno: but after my old hard drive wnet bad i lost everything.

Thanks corker for putting up interesting points. BTW, you can try FDM lite, if you think the standard version is bloated.

PS : I'm keen to see your reply Jelson...

UPDATE

Well the other shoe dropped today. Upon launching Firefox was greeted with the message that my IDM has expired.

Interesting data:
    • Feb 26, 2012 --> expired
    • Feb 19, 2012 --> msg that was expiring in 5 days
    • Mar15, 2011 --> first installed (as evidenced by creation date of IDM folder in Program Files dir)
    • Mar 03, 2011 --> received license key from AvinashTech

So, the license must have started on Feb 26, 2011. Likely the day the license keys were created by Tonec.

So, looks like I'll be trying out some of the alternatives but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up paying for a IDM license for my new machine.

Imagine I'll end up using an alternative for my soon to be "old" (XP) machine.

That means IDM licenses don't have any self life.... Thanks Jelson for providing this great info...
    Guess i need to think quickly on what to do with my (unused) license.

Arn i am ready acceept any unused licenses. .

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post
    UPDATE

Well the other shoe dropped today. Upon launching Firefox was greeted with the message that my IDM has expired.

Interesting data:
    • Feb 26, 2012 --> expired
    • Feb 19, 2012 --> msg that was expiring in 5 days
    • Mar15, 2011 --> first installed (as evidenced by creation date of IDM folder in Program Files dir)
    • Mar 03, 2011 --> received license key from AvinashTech

So, the license must have started on Feb 26, 2011. Likely the day the license keys were created by Tonec.

So, looks like I'll be trying out some of the alternatives but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up paying for a IDM license for my new machine.

Imagine I'll end up using an alternative for my soon to be "old" (XP) machine.
    You could try what Grr said

Edit: Deleted info about using IDM beyond trial. Sorry guys
    Last edited by Ashwin; 27-02-12 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    You could try what Grr said

Ash's Edit:Removed the comment partially.
    It's likely they write something to the registry in a Classes | CLSID entry that says you first installed a trial version so that you can't find it and delete unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

I suspect that's why Grr suggested Sandboxie.
    Last edited by Ashwin; 27-02-12 at 10:24 PM. Reason: sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post
    It's likely they write something to the registry in a Classes | CLSID entry that says you first installed a trial version so that you can't find it and delete unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

I suspect that's why Grr suggested Sandboxie.
    Indeed. I found some registry files with Regseeker.

Removed my comment about extending IDM trial period.
    Jelson, I had to edit your post too, just removed what you quoted from my comment. I didn't edit what you had written. Sorry about that .

Reason: Apparently it violates some policies.
    Last edited by Ashwin; 27-02-12 at 10:27 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast