Thread: Need Suggestions for setting out Rules on Forum

Avinash Guest

Need Suggestions for setting out Rules on Forum

Hi everyone,

I wanted to draft a small set of simple and non-complicated rules to be followed over the forum. I would like to hear your suggestions. I did made a small draft sometime but it got lost perhaps when some prob happened with the database.

Anyway, Apart from all the general rules, here's one from my side.

All hyper-links should be coded using the CODE function. The reason being direct hyper-linking a URL does bring some problems sometime or the other when the actual sites don't want the URL to get leaked.

Another one : Actual source should be credited and the source URL should be coded as like any other URL. People should credit the actual source as much as they can. If you don't know the source thats another issue.

Thats two only from me now. I need to hear everyone take on these two. And your suggestions too.

Re: Need Suggestions for setting out Rules on Forum

Some may get confused on the hyperlink scenario and even I may have some specific definitions as compared to you or others. What I consider a hyperlink is a direct link to a download or file, etc... meaning, you click on the link, you get the file, document\within document or .exe or whatever directly but have seen where some sites consider a link to a whole site as needing to be put in code. That said, I'm not sure what your exact standards on hyperlinking are but perhaps a small example\s in the rules for those who may get confused? Just a thought.

I think a good idea to not use foul language to an extent would be another as it degrades the forum content more than helps it.

No spamming.

No racial remarks.

No derogatory pictures or comments.

No flaming.

No posting your email or others' emails < have seen that one get messy

Try not to double post in multiple threads.

No posting PMs, only to Admin or Moderator in case of problem.

Just a few off the top of my head, hope they help some.

Paul

Avinash Guest

I was thinking of putting all URLs or Hyperlinks within CODE function. The definition of Hyperlink by Paul does match with my def too ).

The reason I am saying all links or URLS or Hyperlinks to be coded as it will become a cumbersome job for me or moderators to check the links where they link to.

So to be safe , I propose all URLs to be CODED. P

Well, all to be CODED would be a good way to make sure and save a lot of time. I was wondering how this would work with signatures for those who have image links to their blogs, etc... or just basic links. They would not be able to use their signatures in such a way or would this even affect the signatures?

Avinash Guest

Well, Image links will work in Signatures as its working now too as in your signature.

But in the posts, URLs will need to be CODED.

Also, we may disallow URLs in signature directly as the case now is. URL function is OFF by default here. Hence any URL in Signature right now is not clickable.

The Images in Signatures will work as the [IMG] function is ON in Signature.

Hi Avinash,

I think I saw in the last rules you posted that you would prevent all PMs unless from moderators or admins. The only thing I would see difficult is that sometimes users will communicate their email addresses and such through PM as not to post it directly on the site and In my opinion this rule may turn many users off to using the forum as PM'ing is a big part of communication and reserved for things that don't belong in the public forum. I badly worded my PM posting suggestion as well. I meant no posting a PM into the public forum but once again, worded it badly. Of course it's up to you and I am only hoping to give some feedback or suggestions from my opinion and in no way trying to go against your decision m8.

Avinash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PChammer
    Hi Avinash,

I think I saw in the last rules you posted that you would prevent all PMs unless from moderators or admins. The only thing I would see difficult is that sometimes users will communicate their email addresses and such through PM as not to post it directly on the site and In my opinion this rule may turn many users off to using the forum as PM'ing is a big part of communication and reserved for things that don't belong in the public forum. I badly worded my PM posting suggestion as well. I meant no posting a PM into the public forum but once again, worded it badly. Of course it's up to you and I am only hoping to give some feedback or suggestions from my opinion and in no way trying to go against your decision m8.
    LOL mate, This forum is not owned by me. I keep on saying this. Its being build by you guys and I would love to modify rules as and when required based on the feedback.

Also, I am not perfect and no one else too can be. This forum is for members and run by members. I would love to hear opinions against my opinions and love to discuss too. Hope i am making myself clear

The rules list already mentioned that it can be changed on user feedback.

It seems some mis interpretation is there. I never intended to ban PMs among members. If the rule sounded like that, I will try to reword it.

LOL mate, This forum is not owned by me. I keep on saying this. Its being build by you guys and I would love to modify rules as and when required based on the feedback.
    Alrighty I just like to make sure I don't come across wrong as I'm sure I do sometimes (and have in the past). That's still the worst part about forums or email, it's hard to get the meaning or feeling across without sounding harsh or pushy, etc... so I try to stress that.

It seems some mis interpretation is there. I never intended to ban PMs among members. If the rule sounded like that, I will try to reword it.
    Ah, ok then, yep I thought you meant no PMs among forum members but wasn't sure how well that would work. Thanks for the reply on that.

Paul

I think that PMs are necessary among members or even Forum moderators as well. There is an advantage of getting better friendship among friends / moderators and at the same time members can seek advice or opinion from moderators on any topic posted. If you ban PMs among forum members which surely create misunderstanding and problems. But for sure, you can make sure all members must obey and are abided by Forum rules and regulations. If any member was found seriously offenced against those rules and regulations will be banned or expelled from Forum.