Thread: Understanding Android Storage Memory + Few problems regarding it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Understanding Android Storage Memory + Few problems regarding it

From my little experience with Android I know that a typical Android device will have 2 types of memory- device memory and SD memory.

But today my brother came with a strange problem. He is using a Galaxy Note and he is having 3 types of memory- device memory, USB memory, SD memory.
    Being a technical guy I know the device memory is where the ROM is installed, USB memory is the free internal space which we can use and SD memory is obviously the external SD card attached.

Now the problem is while moving the apps to SD card its actually getting moved to USB memory. And as a result he has got no internal memory left in his phone and the total device is hell slow. It takes 5 minutes to open anything and literally unusable.

The question here is

1. Why this phone shows 3 memory partitions instead of usual 2?
    2. How to move the apps to the actual SD card and not to the inbuilt storage (USB memory)?

The solution here is to use a link2SD script, but for doing that most Android phones need to be rooted. Also, the link2sd script must be compatible with the particular model of the phone.

May be Ashwin can add something to it.

Thanks avi, but why it shows 3 types of memory?

SD Card would be the actual external storage, i.e, the memory card. The other two are just partitions in the built-in memory. 2gb for Device memory and the rest as USB. Not a very great idea from Samsung I suppose

Device memory is reserved for system apps, while the bigger partition will be for your media files. Try using a file manager and see if you can find the sdcard folder, it will probably be the same as the USB storage you are referring to.

Try installing free apps like App2sd or similar to see if you can move apps to the external storage. Not all apps can be moved though.

Try using a file manager and see if you can find the sdcard folder, it will probably be the same as the USB storage you are referring to.
    Yes I found the SD card folder and it seemed to be empty. All the stuffs were dumped into the USB memory.

Try installing free apps like App2sd or similar to see if you can move apps to the external storage. Not all apps can be moved though.
    According to him, he tried installing a similar app (forgot the name) but instead of moving it to the memory card all the apps were moved to the USB memory.

Another problem is after uninstalling few apps the free space remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Apps data may still be there- eating up space.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yes I found the SD card folder and it seemed to be empty. All the stuffs were dumped into the USB memory.

According to him, he tried installing a similar app (forgot the name) but instead of moving it to the memory card all the apps were moved to the USB memory.

Root the phone and install a custom ROM. They usually have scripts which will take care of such issues

I swapped my father's USB storage to SD card by modifying vold.fstab file in /etc

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 2