Thread: Installing New Applications in 64-bit Systems

Installing New Applications in 64-bit Systems

Lots of software developers nowadays load their setups as a package consisting 32&64-bit versions of the software at once. I wonder what will happen when we install such setup in a 64-bit system? Will the installed program create two directories, each in the Program Files and (x86)Program Files of the Root drive?

32-bit software programs will be installed to the Program files (x86) folder, and the 64bit applications to Program files. If an application will have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions like IE and Photoshop you will find them on both folders.

Last edited by krishnan; 07-08-13 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krishnan View Post
    32-bit software programs will be installed to the Program files (x86) folder, and the 64bit applications to Program files. If an application will have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions like IE and Photoshop you will find them on both folders.

Yes, I looked at my brother-in-law's 64-bit PC and indeed I found there are two Internet Explorer directory, either it is in Program Files and (x86) Program Files. Personally, I think it is a bit too extravagant. I wonder whether it is possible to remove the 32-bit side using any uninstaller tool or removing the program's directory of the (x86) folder manually? Are you the same Krishnan from geekiest.net, BTW?