Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KIS 2011 beta - Don't dare to install it!

Smile KIS 2011 beta - Don't dare to install it!

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 beta was just released and out of curiosity just wanted to see what's the improvements. But it was the worst ever beta i have tried. It is not even ready to test! Read my journey with KIS 2011 beta below.

Installation went smooth. The problems started right after the installation. My 1GB system has hard time in running it smoothly. The cpu usage is always 100% and all that 100% accounts to avp.exe, which is used by KIS. Eventually the system was so slow, like a snail. I tried to update KIS virus database and it also struck at 1% for more than 15 mins. It slows down everything and I am very happy to remove that piece of crap. Another thing, removing KIS 2011 is also a big headache. The default uninstaller hangs while uninstalling, so i have to use manual methods (which are mentioned at kaspersky official forums, I doubt if Avinash allows me to post those commands here) to remove kis 2011 beta.

After uninstalling KiS 2011 beta, my system became normal and i feel like heavens back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 beta was just released and out of curiosity just wanted to see what's the improvements. But it was the worst ever beta i have tried. It is not even ready to test! Read my journey with KIS 2011 beta below.

Installation went smooth. The problems started right after the installation. My 1GB system has hard time in running it smoothly. The cpu usage is always 100% and all that 100% accounts to avp.exe, which is used by KIS. Eventually the system was so slow, like a snail. I tried to update KIS virus database and it also struck at 1% for more than 15 mins. It slows down everything and I am very happy to remove that piece of crap. Another thing, removing KIS 2011 is also a big headache. The default uninstaller hangs while uninstalling, so i have to use manual methods (which are mentioned at kaspersky official forums, I doubt if Avinash allows me to post those commands here) to remove kis 2011 beta.

After uninstalling KiS 2011 beta, my system became normal and i feel like heavens back again.
    I had tested KIS 2011 beta and posted about it on blog too. Infact its still there on my system. As with every beta, it has bugs which will vary from system to system. tested it on windows 7 64 bit with 4 GB ram, may be that is the difference.

Still, beta versions are not for public.

regarding uninstalling methods, you can talk about them as you are not talking about hacking or cracking but just uninstalling it.

@Sam.

You can code the links to the Kaspersky forum and post it here, if the steps for uninstallation are too long.

Why dont you report the issue at the Kaspersky forum or email them?
    Post a Hijackthis log at their forum. or a snapshot of your task manager. It will be easier for them to assist you.

I agree with both of you that betas will have bugs. Well that is the purpose of beta testing. But im not sure if RAM would be the issue. Does Kaspersky 2011 require over 1gb to run smoothly?

PS: I use NIS on my PC with 2gigs and NAV on the other with 1.2 gigs (1gb and 256 mb).
    Both my PCs start under 30-35 seconds, never experienced a lag. But i have seen people at the Norton community (forum) complain too.

I experienced the update hang problem with KIS2010. I think there is no solution.

Did u install everything or did a custom install?

Guys if anyone of you have hard times in uninstalling KIS 2011 beta follow these steps:

To remove files and folders :

rd /s "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab"
    rd /s "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files"
    rd /s "%programdata%\Kaspersky Lab"
    rd /s "%programdata%\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files"
    rd /s "%programfiles%\Kaspersky Lab"
    rd /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Kaspersky Lab"
    del /f "%windir%\system32\drivers\kl*"
    To remove registry entries :

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run /v avp /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v avp /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KasperskyL ab /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\kl1 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\kl2 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\klbg /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\KLIF /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\klim5 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\klim6 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\klmouflt /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\KL_KLIM5MP /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\KL_KLIM6MP /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\LEGACY_KL1 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\LEGACY_KLBG /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\LEGACY_KLIF /f
    You have to run those commands in safe mode. Running those commands one by one is tough task, so copy the commands to notepad and save remove files and folders commands as kisuninstall1.bat. and save registry entry removing commands as kisuninstall2.bat and then execute them by double clicking it. Remember that this should be done in safe mode.

more info at :
    Code:
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=161942&st=0&p=1297991&#entry1297991
    @Grr, installed KIS with recommended settings.

Yeah, beta products will have bugs and I've came across some serious bug, well it seems that Kaspersky is giving incentives to testers who tell them about bugs. May be a free one year license is waiting for me.... I'm gonna put that KIS 2011 back again on my pc.

well it seems that Kaspersky is giving incentives to testers who tell them about bugs. May be a free one year license is waiting for me.... I'm gonna put that KIS 2011 back again on my pc.

Then it is worth trying KIS Beta..

Wish You Luck for free license, if it turns out to be for 3 PCs, do count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    Then it is worth trying KIS Beta..

Wish You Luck for free license, if it turns out to be for 3 PCs, do count me in.
    I think you should participate in it as you know well about testing softwares.

Well... are they giving licenses to beta testers and Bug reporters...??

receive free versions of the product, which are awarded to the most active beta testers.
    Code:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/beta
    Yup. They are giving free versions to active beta testers.

I think you should participate in it as you know well about testing softwares.

I wish I would, if I had a spare PC to test...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast