Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you know any free alternatives to Format Factory?

Do you know any free alternatives to Format Factory?

Has anyone used Format factory?

I read reviews at Dottech and decided to try it, but it triggered my SAS Pro/Norton to block it during installation, im not sure.I read about this at Gizmo's, the comments say it could be Ask toolbar/Ebay crap it installs.

Just remembered about this when i was checking my downloads folder,
    Format factory is a freeware video converter which can convert video/audio in many formats including .vob which is the DVD player format.

WOT scorecard shows a few people complaining about malicious software:
    Code:
    http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/formatoz.com
    (AVI to VOB conversion)
    I was trying to burn some avi videos into dvd format,since I could not use Format factory,I had to use Nero-trial, which took like hours to burn a single dvd.

I downloaded Iwisoft Video Converter yesterday, it is free & supports .vob, but I am yet to convert an avi file with it. I will test it out and post the results later.

The reason I am asking you to suggest a freeware similar to Format factory is because FF is a CD/DVD ripper, audio/video converter, and video joiner packed in one.

Any recommendations?

@Ashwin,

Try Xvid4PSP. It supports .VOB files.

Import formats:
    AVI DIVX ASF MPG MPE M2V MPEG VOB TS M2P D2V MOV QT 3GP HDMOV RM RAM RMVB RPX SMI SMIL MKV OGM WMV DVR-MS PMP FLV.

Export formats:
    PMP AVC, MP4 PSP AVC, MP4 PSP ASP, MP4 iPod, MP4 iPod 640, MP4 iPod Touch, MP4 iPhone, MP4 PS3, MP4 Xbox 360, MP4, AVI, AVI DV PAL, AVI DV NTSC, AVI Hardware, MPEG-2 PAL, MPEG-2 NTSC, MPEG2-TS, MPEG2-PS, FLV, MKV.

Download from here.
    Code:
    http://www.winnydows.com/#Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    @Ashwin,

Try Xvid4PSP. It supports .VOB files.

Import formats:
    AVI DIVX ASF MPG MPE M2V MPEG VOB TS M2P D2V MOV QT 3GP HDMOV RM RAM RMVB RPX SMI SMIL MKV OGM WMV DVR-MS PMP FLV.

Export formats:
    PMP AVC, MP4 PSP AVC, MP4 PSP ASP, MP4 iPod, MP4 iPod 640, MP4 iPod Touch, MP4 iPhone, MP4 PS3, MP4 Xbox 360, MP4, AVI, AVI DV PAL, AVI DV NTSC, AVI Hardware, MPEG-2 PAL, MPEG-2 NTSC, MPEG2-TS, MPEG2-PS, FLV, MKV.

Download from here.
    Code:
    http://www.winnydows.com/#Downloads

Thanks Avi, but the website requires Microsoft Silverlight to be accessed.

I found another link at Softpedia.

XviD4PSP 6.001 Beta / 5.037.5 r25 Unofficial / 5.037.5 FCP
    Code:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Encoders-Converter-DIVX-Related/XviD4PSP-video-converter-for-PSP-and-PC.shtml

[QUOTE=jelson;5564][COLOR="black"]iWisoft Free Video Converter [URL="http://avinashtech.net/software-problems-troubleshooting/642.htm[/URL]

But thanks anyway, it could be useful for members who haven't heard about Iwisoft converter

I recommend . It is free and gives you many options to play with, such as resolution, video & audio bitrate. You can also convert video to audio etc etc. The interface may confuse beginners, so I recommend it to Advanced users.

WinX HD video Convertor Deluxe, its not free though.

Thumbs up

I overlooked this one: Oxelon Media Converter

I've used this a couple of times and found it quite satisfactory.

For instance, ripping audio from some youtube videos with other programs resulted in mp3s with incorrect time length, but OMC extracted the mp3s with correct duration.

Here's some info from their webpage
    :
    Oxelon Media Converter is FREEWARE
    Version 1.1

Supported Operating Systems:

Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista

The program allows to convert video/audio files into the following formats:

Video Formats: 3GP, 3G2, ASF, AVI, DV, DVD MPEG2, FFM, FLV, GIF, MOV, MP4, MPEG1, MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS, NUT, PSP, RAW YUV, RM, SVCD MPEG2, SWF, VCD MPEG1, VOB, YUV4MPEG, M1V, M2V, M4V.

Audio Formats: AC3, AAC, AIFF, AMR, AU, FLAC, MMF, MP2, MP3, OGG, VOC, WAV.

With the following INTERNAL codecs:
    Video Codecs: BMP, DV Video, FFV1, FFV HUFF, FlashSV, FLV, GIF, H261, H263, H263+, HuffYUV, JPEGLS, Theora, XviD, LJPEG, MJPEG, MPEG1 Video, MPEG2 Video, MPEG4, MS MPEG4, MS MPEG4 V1, MS MPEG4 V2, PAM, PBM, PGM, PGM YUV, PNG, PPM, RAW Video, Real Video 10, Real Video 20, SGI, SNOW, SVQ1 Sorenson Video, Targa, TIFF, VP6, WMV1, WMV2, ZLIB, ZMBV.

Audio Codecs: AC3, ADPCM IMA WAV, ADPCM MS, ADPCM SWF, ADPCM YAMAHA, FLAC, G726, AMR NB, AMR WB, AAC, GSM, GSM MS, MP3, MP2, PCM ALAW, PCM MULAW, PCM 8/16/24/32 bit, SONIC, SONICLS, VORBIS, WMA V1, WMA V2.

It works in two modes:
    Automatic Mode - the program shows carefully filtered list of supported parameters and codecs for each video/audio format. It is used by default.

Manual Mode - the program shows the list of all available parameters and codecs for each video/audio format. You can enable this mode by choosing the "Show all" option.

Fast conversion of many files on multi-core processor systems

Oxelon Media Converter is one of the few video/audio encoding tools that can use four threads to take advantage of quad-core multi-processor systems. The great news is that you can adjust maximal amount of threads in the Settings. So, it is possible to take advantage of high-speed multi-conversion even on an eight-core system (and more).
    Windows Explorer integration

Seamless integration with Explorer allows you to keep working with files as usual. You can right-click on the selected files, choose "Oxelon - Convert to Video" or "Oxelon - Convert to Audio" from the menu, and select the media format.

It is easy to reduce the file size by adjusting bitrates or by changing video width/height
    [details omitted]

Direct Stream Copy
    [details omitted]

Possibility to extract audio streams from video files
    [details omitted]

Drag and Drop support
    [details omitted]

Settings
    [details omitted]
    Last edited by jelson; 13-12-10 at 05:16 AM.

Just found a new freeware alternative to Format Factory.

It's called SUPER, the developer website is

You'll find a screenshot showing all the formats it handles.

I found it in a Computer Bild article,

It's listed as one of the top 250 downloads. Their download page with info is

"SUPER" is a free, universal playback and conversion program that reflect the all important audio and video formats from MP3 to MPG to Flash. Just as easy to convert these files into other formats, including Flash video from YouTube in videos for PSP, PS3 or Nintendo.

The genius is easy to use, because for every target format, choose from the comfort possible picture and sound parameters, that is about the size of the video and the codec to use. Or you can specify whether the sound in mono or stereo to be, change bit rate / kHz or save a video only the audio track. Despite the flexibility you can make it a little wrong, because "SUPER" gives you the simple interface, only the parameters of the hand are possible. By the way, you can use "SUPER" used simply as a player.

Furthermore, significant is the analysis function. One click and you are listed all possible information about an audio or video file. "SUPER" is proving itself as the multimedia "Swiss army knife" and should be absent from any computer. There is no other comparable free program that can boast such a variety of sizes and flexibility.
    Note: the CB.de links are German lang, but Chrome offers auto-translation. If you use other browsers, you can use .

Trying to download Super from developer website is confusing... I had to go through 2 pages to find the DL link. That page is . Otherwise, just DL from CB.de
    Last edited by jelson; 24-02-11 at 09:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast