Thread: How do I stop iWisoft free Video Converter from starting FireFox to check for update?

How do I stop iWisoft free Video Converter from starting FireFox to check for update?

I am not sure how many of you are using iWisoft free video converter.
    The software is excellent but comes with one flaw, whenever I start it, it opens a FireFox tab/window to check for update?

This is the page it takes me to
    Code:
    http://www.easy-video-converter.com/checkupdate.php?cv=Version%201.2%20Build%20091127
    I used Online Armor to block the updater, but apparently the developers have made the update check built-in to the program and I cannot find any option to stop it.

I will install it and check it out if i can help you in that. May be today evening, i would be able to talk about it.

Update:

It looks like they have already fixed this issue in their latest version latest version 1.2 build 091127.

Will confirm it after I install it in evening.
    Last edited by Avinash; 18-06-10 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    I will install it and check it out if i can help you in that. May be today evening, i would be able to talk about it.

Update:

It looks like they have already fixed this issue in their latest version latest version 1.2 build 091127.

Will confirm it after I install it in evening.

Well I am using the latest version, at least that is what the page from the link at my post shows. Will download it again and reinstall it.

Update:
    I uninstalled it using Revo and re-downloaded it and installed it again, still does the same thing

Update 2:

Uninstalled Online Armor (due to several issues) and installed PC Tools Firewall and I was successfully able to block iwisoft video converter from opening Firefox
    Last edited by Ashwin; 18-06-10 at 09:54 PM.

Glad to know that you were sucessful in blocking iwisoft update screen.

Hi Avinash/Ashwin,
    I know that I am very late. I will be grateful, if you tell me how to make PC tools to block the IWISOFT from opening firefox.

Awaiting for your reply. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by mannie View Post
    Hi Avinash/Ashwin,
    I know that I am very late. I will be grateful, if you tell me how to make PC tools to block the IWISOFT from opening firefox.

Awaiting for your reply. Thanks in advance
    Open PCTools FW and click on Applications.

Scroll down till you see "iwisoft updater" in the list and block it.

If you don't find it, try blocking it from the "Advanced Settings"

or

Go to the Applications rules and delete the rule for "Iwisoft video Converter:

The next time you run it, PCT FW may prompt you again and maybe you can block the updater

PS: I am not sure about this since I no longer use PCTools Firewall or Iwisoft video converter.

I found some screenshots here to see what panels/tabs are available in the Firewall

Thanks Ashwin for your immediate help. I'll install PC tools and update you the status. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mannie View Post
    Thanks Ashwin for your immediate help. I'll install PC tools and update you the status. Thanks again.
    You are welcome

Hope it works for you