Thread: If I upgrade XP to Windows 7, can I delete XP Afterwards

If I upgrade XP to Windows 7, can I delete XP Afterwards

If I upgrade XP to Windows 7, can I delete XP Afterwards
    Code:
    Currently on my laptop, I have a legit copy of Windows XP, Windows Vista(laptop originally came with this), and Windows 7 Release Candidate(good until maybe April '10?). Anyways, I am wanting to buy a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, and install it onto my laptop. Question I am wondering(assuming I have Vista/Windows 7 RC already removed), if I do a Windows 7 upgrade from my Windows XP, would I be able to remove Windows XP completely after 7 is installed?

Additional question, if a 'non-legit' copy of windows xp pro is installed on a computer, would a windows 7 upgrade work with that non-legit xp? Just wondering because my neighbors have the non-legits on their computers, and I know they were thinking about buying windows 7 as well, but they are thinking of upgrades since those are cheaper than full version dvd's.

Re: If I upgrade XP to Windows 7, can I delete XP Afterwards

You can do a upgrade to Windows7 from Windows Vista only whatever edition of vista you have. A upgrade from Windows XP is not possible. You would need to do a clean install (that means full version license required not upgrade) if you have windows XP on it.

Either you upgrade or do a clean install , your old operating system will be removed on its own. (I am assuming you are not installing windows7 as dual boot).

And regarding your non legit quest, no matter what you have on your system (legit or non legit), you cannot upgrade from XP.

Yup, Its microsoft way of doing things. They want XP users to buy a full version license instead of upgrade license.

You could always buy a new hard drive there cheap enough and try Windows 7 Home Premium for 30 days and if it wasn't what you expected you would able to go back to XP

Avinash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by frazzeld
    You could always buy a new hard drive there cheap enough and try Windows 7 Home Premium for 30 days and if it wasn't what you expected you would able to go back to XP
    Well, instead of buying a new hard drive , you can install Windows 7 on another partition as Dual boot and test it. You can test it for 120 days instead of 30 days by rearming it thrice.