Thread: How to configure Outlook Express to download mails into separate folders for each a/c

How to configure Outlook Express to download mails into separate folders for each a/c

I have been trying to use Outlook Express 6 to download emails from my email accounts (gmail and hotmail)

I know how to add the a/c and server settings, but the problem is the emails from all the accounts get downloaded into the common inbox

I would like to know how to configure Outlook Express to download emails into separate folders for each account?

I have been using Thunderbird for a long time, TB automatically downloads the folders available on the mail server

For eg: lets say I have username1@gmail (dot) com and username2@gmail (dot)com

Thunderbird's folder for a gmail A/c will look like this

Username1@gmail (dot)com
    Inbox
    Gmail
    -Drafts
    -Sent mail
    -All mail
    -Trash

Is it possible to configure Outlook Express to do something similar to the above for each account. Or is it possible in Windows mail for XP ?

Ashwin, after much effort I could find no way to have mails going in to two different inboxes. Now this is the limitation of the software.

There is only one Inbox per Identity in Outlook Express, but there are workarounds.

Using Rules in Outlook Express,
    Tools > Message Rules > Mail > New

Use a Rule for Where the From line contains people insert one email address,
    Action: Move it to the username1 folder.

The second email address username2 would then be left in the Inbox folder.

Or you could create a second rule to move the second email address messages to a different folder of your own creation.

-------------------------------

Or u can use identities
    If you have more than one person in your house who uses the same computer for e-mail, each person can have a separate message store in Outlook Express. This means that each person can have separate messages, contacts, and personal settings.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like whole lot of work. I was hoping OE would work with anti-spam tools, well Thunderbird works pretty good too, except many anti-spam tols aren't compatible with it, otherwise it is very user friendly.

OE -->

Will try what you suggested and post my feedback. Thanks