Thread: Xmarks Sync to continue uninterrupted

Thumbs up Xmarks Sync to continue uninterrupted

The famous cross-browser bookmark sync service XMarks is shutting down in January

"Sadly, Xmarks will be shutting down our free browser synchronization service on January 10, 2011. This page contains details on how to transition to recommended alternative services."

Announcement:

XMarks Shutdown FAQ:
    Last edited by Ashwin; 28-09-10 at 04:00 PM.

thats sad as it is a great tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    thats sad as it is a great tool.
    Any free alternatives to Xmarks?
    I would prefer an auto backup/sync service, if possible one that works in multiple browsers, especially Chrome and FireFox

I am aware of Transmute, Mozbackup for FF and FEBE (FF addon), but they dont have online backup
    Last edited by Ashwin; 28-09-10 at 04:47 PM.

This was a great little app and it's very sad to see it go. They have recommended Firefox sync as an alternative along with Chrome sync.

Quote Originally Posted by djwatford View Post
    This was a great little app and it's very sad to see it go. They have recommended Firefox sync as an alternative along with Chrome sync.
    They arent really an alternative for a great cross-browser sync like Xmarks

I was reading a post at and 2 comments posted there, say that LastPass have approached X-marks to offer them a lifeline
    Last edited by Ashwin; 13-10-10 at 11:28 PM.

Some good news for Xmarks users, after seeing tremendous support from the users and multiple offers from companies to keep the service running, Xmarks have announced that the service will continue without interruption. Its not a signed deal yet

Read more here --->

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Some good news for Xmarks users, after seeing tremendous support from the users and multiple offers from companies to keep the service running, Xmarks have announced that the service will continue without interruption.
    This was a nice gimmick by them.
    Benefits:

1. infinite publicity
    2. Good opportunity to go paid
    3. come with free/paid versions
    4. Know the usage, strength & reach of their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    This was a nice gimmick by them.
    Benefits:

1. infinite publicity
    2. Good opportunity to go paid
    3. come with free/paid versions
    4. Know the usage, strength & reach of their product.

Visit their blog and read the number of comments at the page which talked about the shutdown. That is a mere fraction of the total number of Xmarks users. I would say that represents some 1-5% of the total users. They have enough publicity without this "gimmick" as you call it.

They have collected a lot of money from their pledgebank account, which should cover the hosting, maintenance, server storage, etc

But I agree that they could go for a paid version now, in which case I would be mad too

I am sure that like any other developer, they have a user database, record to get all the info the need on how their product is used, pros and cons, etc

Well, regardless of they go paid or free everyone is free to use them or not. A bad product cannot survive whatever marketing gimmick they try.

Also, I agree maintaining a great FREE product with increasing user base is not economically viable. You need money either from one way or other. If their FREE model has not failed, may be instead of getting money from users they would have been seeling something else like something based on their vast user database.

Also, whatever anyone does, their is bound to be some criticism.